Help... Power steering turn by itself and makes pump stall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
So I started my junk yard motor for the first time today. I figured carb problem s from setting but I never anticipated what happened.
When I cleaned up power steering pump I drained all fluid out. I put new lines on. the car it had been sitting for 18 years with no lines on and had dirt and crud in Port openings. I cleaned those with a rag
When I installed the pump I put the pressure line on and filled pump and took the return line and a vacuum pump and tried to pull good fluid through but could not. And finished installing
So today when the engine fired the steering started turning left in it's own. When it got all the way left it started bogging the pump and about burned the belt.. it turned all new power steering fluid to light tan milky color
I could not turn it back right as long as it was running. I removed the belt and turned the wheels back straight..
Am I looking a pump issue or a gearbox issue. Any leads or what to check would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_133715.jpg
    IMG_20190330_133715.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 146

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
The pump is stupid. It just makes pressure when told. It is not directional.
Disclaimer: I have never disassembled a gearbox, I am only repeating things I have been told from sources I trust.

The gearbox will have some type of shuttle valve that diverts the fluid pressure to assist when you turn from center. It is probably stuck in a turn left mode and it does when the pump is providing assist until it hits the stop then the pump keeps pumping but the gearbox won't turn so you load up the pump and overheat the fluid. That's why you can turn it back when the motor isn't running or the belt is off the pump.

Open up the gearbox and educate me. I'd love to see inside it.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
This was apart when I got but ithought they we're different sizes. Pressure line is going to the inner most port. The return is the one to the outside that also has the plastic steering column boot around it

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_153928.jpg
    IMG_20190330_153928.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 142

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I know absolutely nothing about steering parts so I'm going to research this before I start swapping out parts or taking anything apart. I did call my local Napa and priced out the replacement gearbox for my car and the one for a Hurst olds/Monte ss. There is only about 15.00 difference between the stock and the good one( different part numbers-napa guy couldn't tell me the difference but I bet the Hurst old one is the quick ratio)

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Could I have ruined the pump in minute or so that it ran. Because it churned that fluid from new clear to milky in that short time

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I did try to prime the pump by jacking car up and turning lock to lock 30 or so times before I tried to start anything and it turned rough once it the fluid bubbled and went down and I refilled the reservoir

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you decode to get a new steering box, get a new pump and hoses - don't pump crap into a fresh steering gear. The '800 series' that works for most Gbodies is this one (GM part numbers included):
1553994494608.png

The one you want has the 12.7:1 performance gear. Yours must have the four-bolt cover - the arm is different if you have the '600-series' with the round top. Lares is selling costlier ones - your choice.

Attachments

• Steering Box.JPG
    Steering Box.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor