Help removing VERY rusty shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
Hey guys, started digging into the front suspension and steering on my 88 monte. Ran into a snag with the shocks, everything is pretty crusty but these especially. I already used a cut off wheel to get the end links freed up and I'm kind of assuming it's going to be more of the same for the shocks but wonder if anyone might have any better ideas on getting them out. My plan of action so far is to cut the ears off flush with the shock body on the bottom of the shock then push the shock as high as I can and cut the actual rod and then drop it back out the bottom. If that makes sense lol! Ill post some pics and if anyone has any suggestions or input I'd love to hear!
a9e950c1fcb08c37e00a4ad476fd1251.jpg
9e042dfc590a1047ada5a0157b4e810f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I guarantee if you put a socket on that top nut and try to loosen it, it will just snap right off for you. No need to try and cut the shaft, that's hardened steel.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The very bottom of the top picture... below the "c" and where the bottom of your arrow goes through before it forks...

It appears your metal has rotted through in a handful of spots?

You may need to replace some parts other than just the shocks... may need to blow that suff apart and check it out on a bench, see just not much integrity is lost in places

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
hammer on a deep socket and a long extension on the top and use the leverage to snap the top stud off

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
The very bottom of the top picture... below the "c" and where the bottom of your arrow goes through before it forks...

It appears your metal has rotted through in a handful of spots?

You may need to replace some parts other than just the shocks... may need to blow that suff apart and check it out on a bench, see just not much integrity is lost in places
I think it's just the picture everything has a heavy rust scale on it. But that's the plan, literally everything is getting replaced only things I would like to salvage are the arms and knuckles which I believe once taken off and cleaned up should be perfectly fine. This isn't strictly a shock replacments, this is basically a font end overhaul, and next spring will be rear end!

lp08ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2018
Alright well seems to be a pretty clear to just go the brtue force method lol! I'll be sure to eat my Wheaties and check back in with you guys !

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Alright well seems to be a pretty clear to just go the brtue force method lol! I'll be sure to eat my Wheaties and check back in with you guys !
Ok, we'll be waiting.

81c2e0041a322612c3ccd7cb736785da.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor