Help rerouting vacuum lines after fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2018
Hi Guys,
i'm new here.
I bought a 1974 El Camino with a 350 engine.
According to the owner the engine recently caught fire due to a gas leak on the carb fuel line which poured gasoline to the firewall side.
It lasted a few seconds only, infact it looks almost all intact, except for the vacuum line that appear to be all damaged.
So now i'm trying fix everything but i'm having a hard time, a little help from somebody who knows this car better than i do would be very well appreciated.

So the situation is that from the inside of the car to the engine bay, as far as i understand, i have three vacuum hoses (for the air conditioning, that actually doesn't run at all) that are supposed to go somewhere, but they are burned right where the grommet is, and i can't see anything obvious around that area.
2mybzvn.jpg

So the first thing i was able to notice is this vacuum baloon on the passenger side, right by the ac dryer:
n700o8.jpg

The baloon has two vacuum hoses, one big and one small.
The big one goes from the baloon to the air intake, through a Y connector.
5cb0wy.jpg

au6ty9.jpg

One of the 3 sides of this Y connector is standing with no hoses, so i don't know how to connect it.

The small hose of the baloon was just standing attached to nothing.
2cmkffl.jpg

I also found this valve on the heater core hose with a small vacuum hose hanging
2je3gnl.jpg

By checking all this i also found out that the yellow wire on top of the fan box was cut off (that is maybe why the vent inside doesn't even turn on) but i also found two more wires disconnected and i have no idea where they go.
One is dark tan, almost brown, under the brake booster
2z3tdow.jpg

The other one is green with a white line, by memory i recall that GM uses this color for the tachometer signal, but the car has no tacho... however the distributor has a TACH predisposition, no wire connected, coincidence? Was it used for something else?
2e1hopf.jpg

okzjb9.jpg

Oh i almost forgot, even tho the model seems to have the radio antenna embedded in the windshield i found another cut wire in the firewall that looks like an antenna wire. Is this something else?

Also both the two small vacuum hoses that i found have white stripes on them.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks a lot

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
All GM HEI's had a spot for the tach. Just the way they were made. The windshield antenna wire should look like a coax cable without the end on it, thick black cable with white insulation and thin copper inside wire. The line for the heater hose valve usually comes in from the cab. The vacuum ball, if it has two ports, gets vacuum from the engine (big port) then the small port gives vacuum to the heater controls, which also should be coming in from the cab. these are vacuum lines, not wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor