Help right passenger front caliper won't release

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Friends, driving my 1985 Cutlass today, started feeling it pulling to the right...got to my destination and whoa...hot brake smell!!! Turns out my passenger caliper is seized up. Babied a couple blocks to my buddies. We opened bleeder and fluid came out no issue. Tried to pry her open a lil, worked a lil bit but right back to stuck closed on the rotor. Rotor and hub almost approx 290* w temp gun! Never experienced this before. What could be causing this and how can I fix this?

Last edited:

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
First off, unless you're writing this from Australia or England, the left side caliper would also be the driver's side. The passenger's side is the right side. It doesn't matter that you might be standing in front of the car looking at the front end. The left is still the driver's side. This stops confusion.

On to your problem. There are really only two choices. Either the caliper or the brake hose. If it's an original brake hose, it's past due for replacement anyways. If you can push the piston back relatively easy the caliper should be ok. Now honestly, I'd put new calipers and hoses on both sides. You'll probably only have about $40 total into it. Last time I bought a gbody caliper I think it was only $12....

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
Replaced the hose and the hardline to the distribution block about 3 years ago...car is semi show so has only put 2,500 miles on since then...hose looks great...piston looks like the pic attached. Can it be rebuilt? My caliper is chrome and id like to still use it if possible.

Also my apologies... I was typing w haste and didnt realize I put left..lol!

Attachments

• 20190502_180545.jpg
    20190502_180545.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 343
Reactions: 1 user

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
For my opinion, I would buy the caliper rebuild kit and change the piston and seals like you said. That's a nice looking chrome caliper you have there and everything looks good except the piston which is what caused the caliper to seize up. Once the piston pushed out when applying the brakes, it couldn't go back in due to the rust buildup. But remember, that chrome is nice but....it holds the heat in. The aluminum ones dissipate the heat better and faster. Chrome don't get you home! I like chrome myself,,,,I once drank a bottle of dupont no.7 chrome polish and pissed on my bumper! :LOL:

RICKDIZZLE

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2014
For my opinion, I would buy the caliper rebuild kit and change the piston and seals like you said. That's a nice looking chrome caliper you have there and everything looks good except the piston which is what caused the caliper to seize up. Once the piston pushed out when applying the brakes, it couldn't go back in due to the rust buildup. But remember, that chrome is nice but....it holds the heat in. The aluminum ones dissipate the heat better and faster. Chrome don't get you home! I like chrome myself,,,,I once drank a bottle of dupont no.7 chrome polish and pissed on my bumper! :LOL:
Thanks for the reply! This car hardly sees road time...just to and from local shows and via trailer for far shows. My whole undercarriage is chrome. Im going to rebuild the chrome one after I thoroughly clean this housing up. Here is a pic for the chrome lovers out there....thanks again for all the replies!

Attachments

• IMG_2839.JPG
    IMG_2839.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 303

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Is it possible that when they chromed the caliper it closed up the piston bore? My friend had an issue with a chrome master cylinder. After it was chromed, When the master got hot, it seized up and wouldn't release until cool.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Is it possible that when they chromed the caliper it closed up the piston bore? My friend had an issue with a chrome master cylinder. After it was chromed, When the master got hot, it seized up and wouldn't release until cool.
This is where I'd be thinking. It appears to me from the pictures there's pitting/peeling/rust on the piston which really gums things up on a smooth return, and if they didn't block off the chroming to the inside of the sleeve, that would suck too..

If you can rebuild them, get the kits for BOTH sides. Got a feeling this won't be the last time you see this.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor