Help turning over GP with broken ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rIbBaD

Greasemonkey
Apr 10, 2010
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey there someone has broken my ignition on my GP and I’m trying to get it started so I can drive it to work tomorrow and then replace the column sometime in the near future. I have attached a picture I have managed to get it into the run position using the blue thing below the steering column but am wondering if I am able to get it to turn over in this state other than jumping the starter. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 8C5906E1-01D9-4ED3-BD5F-E1B4281CAAF2.jpeg
    8C5906E1-01D9-4ED3-BD5F-E1B4281CAAF2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 135

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hey there someone has broken my ignition on my GP and I’m trying to get it started so I can drive it to work tomorrow and then replace the column sometime in the near future. I have attached a picture I have managed to get it into the run position using the blue thing below the steering column but am wondering if I am able to get it to turn over in this state other than jumping the starter. Thanks in advance
Damn, sorry that happened to your car. If you turn that post with a pair of pliers as if the ignition tumbler does, will it crank? It looks like the linkage to the switch on top of the column is intact based on what I can see.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
go one position further on the switch and the car will start. I have used a screw driver on the ignition switch to get it started. The rod pulls it back to start the car, when you let the key go there is a spring in the ignition switch to put it in the run position.

26ignitionswitchpushrodinstall1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That blue connector goes on the actual ignition switch. Is it still attached to the column? Just plug that harness back on the ignition switch and re-attach the rod from the key switch. If not, you could get the switch, plug the connector to it, and manually engage "ON/start" by pushing the part the rod attaches to. Another way is to jump the pink ignition wire to +12 volts so the motor will run, then momentarily jump the purple start wire to +12 volts.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

rIbBaD

Greasemonkey
Apr 10, 2010
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
go one position further on the switch and the car will start. I have used a screw driver on the ignition switch to get it started. The rod pulls it back to start the car, when you let the key go there is a spring in the ignition switch to put it in the run position.

26ignitionswitchpushrodinstall1.jpg

Thanks so much!! Didn’t know there was one more click in it I got it going! Thanks everyone. Now I can deal with it on the weekend after work tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Good work. Now, don't you just love when on TV they just yank out a hand full of random wires and the ends are stripped and frayed perfectly so they can be just touched together to start a vehicle? :doh:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Good work. Now, don't you just love when on TV they just yank out a hand full of random wires and the ends are stripped and frayed perfectly so they can be just touched together to start a vehicle? :doh:

They always have to spark a little when the perfectly stripped ends are swept across (I think that is so they know they have the right ones), then they twist wires together and drive away.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are installing a new ignition switch on the "new" steering column if it is a tilt column make sure you adjust the position of the ignition switch so it works with your tilt in all positions.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor