Help w/ swapping out dash light bulbs on 86 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
I've been searching looking for how to's and links on how to get to my dash lights, speedo, tach, fuel, etc. I'm wanting to swap them out to cool blue led's. Are they 194's and how many? Any help would be good, thanks.

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
Keep in mind that if you change your dash lights to leds you lose the ability to turn down the brightness, if that even matters to you. I'm thinking of doing the same to my 81 Grand Prix because I find that even at their brightest they are kinda dull. Anyone who has done this please reply preferably with some pics.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
So the dimmer switch wouldnt work anymore?? I've switched to led's on other cars and it still worked. Good to know tho.

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong but I was told that with leds they're either off or on. You can't vary the intensity but for me that's not a big concern. The factory lights in the dash and center console are really dull.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
Good looking out!!!I'll see if I can get a chance to try it 2mro. Thing is, is I have the round gauges so I hope this will at least get me started.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Super simple to change the bulbs. First take out the center woodgrain vent piece & there will be a few screws behind that hold the dash gauge surround on as well as screws all along the bottom of it.Then take the screws out that hold the gauge cluster, then you will have to gently move the cluster forward & feel for the speedo clip on the back of the cluster. Once you push in on the speedo clip, the cluster should come right out once you disconnect the electrical connectors. Once it's out, simply take out the bulb connectors & replace the bulbs. Hope this helps. It's the same process to change the bulbs for both style clusters. Here's a pic of the back of a rallye cluster like yours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,651

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
Awesome. Thanks alot. I think some led's would look good with my style gauges. Maybe when I get to doing this project, I'll take some pics and post them up.

Dripz1985

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2014
How do you remove the speedo cable

85blacksalon

Apprentice
Oct 24, 2011
It can be a bear, find the cable under the hood at the fire wall if it has a clip holding it to the master cyl., take it off. That should give you enough cable to pull the cluster out far enough to get your hand behind to the cable. There is a spring clip that holds the cable to the cluster. The trick is not to have the cable pulling away from the cluster as you push on the spring clip. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor