HELP!! Wiring Harness/ Car Wont Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
The previous owner of my Mali really screwed things up under the dash. The wires are totally messy.

The car wont start Im not even getting any sign of power to the starter at all. HELP

I have a brown wire coming out of the harness in the engine compartment spliced into a yellow wire going into the car hooked to nothing. ?

This is a purple wire coming from the harness on the left side of the column. Not connected.???

dashwiresscrewed004.jpg

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS. CAN I CUT IT?
dashwiresscrewed002.jpg

This shows the screwed up ignition switch wiring.
dashwiresscrewed005.jpg

The ignition switch has 2 connectors/ 1 blue and 1 black

The blue connector has a 4 wires. pink , purple, red and brown wires.

Black connector has 4 wires also.
1.thin brown wire w/ white stripe
2.thin dark green wire
3. thick orange wire
4. thick pink wire

My neutral safety switch has 2 connectors and 5 wires
1. lime green wire and
2. dk blue wire
3. thin orange wire w/ black stripe
4. black wire
5. black wire w/ white stripe

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Time to get out the multimeter and start tracing wires. The large purple wire in the blue plug is the starter wire.

The red box you have in your hand looks to be the chime module. Don't cut it unless you don't want the door chime, headlight chime, etc.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Is it a former column shift car? I had a friend swap a shifter in and the old column shift lever linkage moved and it wouldn't start..

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
My guess is there was an alarm in it, and it's been removed, possibly in haste/without care. This picture (white fuse holder in the background) makes me even more suspicious:
dashwiresscrewed004.jpg

If that's all it is, pull out your multimeter and check for continuity to where the cut purple wire in the picture goes. If it has continuity to the starter wire, odds are there is another purple wire that it originally connected to that goes to the ignition switch.

Another option is to drop the column on the Monte in your sig, (it will have the same wiring pertaining to what you're working on) and compare. Odds are you can straighten it out that way.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you're gonna have to buy a GOOD wiring diagram and trace out the wires.
but, just to get the motor going, run your own harness. run power to a switch then to the coil and run main wires from the batt to the starter and alternator. then run another switched wire from the starter (small post just for cranking) disconnect the wiring harness from the batt just in case. and make sure the engine has at least 2 main grounds, one to the body and one directly to the batt.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
I got it all figured out. The purple wire that i showed was to the other end of the start wire on the ignition switch. I plan on breaking in the motor early tomorrow morning.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Hope this helps for a 82 Malibu

Attachments

• 80808283.gif
    80808283.gif
    51 KB · Views: 3,010
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor