Help wiring nuetral safety and back up lights 80 el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

80elky911

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2014
Round hill
I got a b and m floor shifter and need info wiring to the factory wires to get nuetral safety and backup lights working so I can pass tech this spring. Track requires nuetral safety switch to be working. If you have these wired on your car please input.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Ditto that. I just finished my Lokar shifter. They're directions are confusing.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the back up lights and neutral switch are mounted on the steering column close to the fire wall. The shifter rod that is attached to the steering column on the engine side of the fire wall rotates the column which activates the neutral switch when in park and the back up lights when in reverse.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
actually, our cars don't have a neutral safety switch. our cars have a mechanical interlock that is part of the steering column/shift tube.
cars with computers do have a park/neutral switch that tells the computer whether the car is in gear or not. this switch is not meant to handle the amp load of a starter solenoid.
i'm not familiar with the shifters mentioned, but a neutral switch will need to be spliced in to the starter solenoid wire between the ignition switch and starter solenoid.
joe

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

80elky911

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2014
Round hill
At the bottom of the column there appear to be 2 different switches one has a green and blue wire according to wiring diagram this is back up light ???? The other has brown yellow and green what is this one?? The colors don't match up to wiring diagram for nuetral safety switch

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the park/neutral safety switch wire @the column mounted switch SHOULD be blk-wht wire is the ground and the power should be org-blk.
i have the wiring for the reverse light wiring if you want to install that switch too but didn't want to rattle it off in fear of confusing you.i get confused easy.

• Friendly

80elky911

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2014
Round hill
I got the backup lights figured out now just wondering about the nuetral safety. I read you could break the purple going to starter through the switch on new shifter but I'm not sure the switch can handle the amps. Any input???

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When I had my aftermarket shifter, I spliced into the neutral safety switch circuit coming out of the column. If I recall, it's a slightly heavier gauge purple wire. I'll have to look back at a wiring diagram. I connected the backup light circuit in the same fashion.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that switch isn't seeing the amps you think it is.if it was the wires associated w/it would be MUCH larger.all you're doing by interrupting it is telling the solenoid not to reach the other side,there's no battery/big cable business in play here. also that's why the back up and the neutral safety switches from b&m are the same size,they're tiny.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor