Help with 7.5 gear and posi swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
I had a few questions I wanted to run by a few of you when it comes to building up my reared it's the original 7.5 in my El camino I kept the rear end from my 94 camaro donor car and am going to swap over the posi and gears into the 7.5 I already have a pair of 28 spline grand national axles to make it all work . Where my question is when it comes to removing everything from the camaro rear end is it as simple as removing brake assembly popping off the diff cover removing bolt c clips and knock out the pin. Than at that point I would slide the axles out and would putting the pin back in keep the unit together and lined up so when I put it into my elky rear end it would come together as simple. And while doing this swap is their any components I might want to replace thank you

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
May want to replace the bolt that holds the pin in place. If those break trying to remove next time it will be a paint to reinstall.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Are you keeping the gears you now have in your car?. For the posi carrier when you remove it make sure you keep the shims in place on each side. When you install that carrier with the shims the backlash should be in the specs which are .006 to .010. For the pin I like to use a brake bleed tool which has a 6 point 5/16" on one side. DO NOT use a 12 point socket or wench on that pin.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
That is all great info thanks and I'm going to be using the gears from the camaro they are 3:42s so as long as I keep everything in order I should be fine

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for the pinion for the 3.42 gears you'll have a 99% chance that the shim will right to give the proper depth. The only thing you should change is the crush sleeve but I have seen the crush sleeve reused with no issues. Also do not mix up the caps for the carriers. They have to stay in the same position in the rear end they came with.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Ok thanks I will try it that so the shim for the pinion I will use from the fbody rear end than all of the other components like the crush sleeve and end caps I will reuse from the gbody 7.5

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I thought there was a series 2 and 3 carrier difference???? 3.08 and taller like to 2.41 you have to have a series 2 carrier (housing). I am going off memory which aint worth a crap. Maybe someone else can chime in.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought there was a series 2 and 3 carrier difference???? 3.08 and taller like to 2.41 you have to have a series 2 carrier (housing). I am going off memory which aint worth a crap. Maybe someone else can chime in.

your memory is right but he's using the f body carrier and the gears..

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I suggest you get a real GM factory manual and read up on this procedure. When the headache goes away you will realize why a shop charges hundreds of dollars to swap gears around the right way. You can not just switch gears and carriers and various parts between housings at will. Each gear set up has to be done right so it runs quietly and doesn't break outright. Yes, it can be done by a non-professional who has researched the job and completely understands what they are doing, and has the right tools for the job. But if not, then my advice is always the same- get a complete rear with the gears you want and swap that in.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
Yea that is true I know there's more to just swapping it all over that's why I'm asking questions. I like to think I can learn alot and doing so saves me money in the end haha. I'm going to still attempt to get it done I got a few Co workers who are going to give me a hand I just wanted to gather as much info before I tare into it I'll report back with if it worked or not and what I did

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor