1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with 97 LT 1 swap on 86 Elco

Discussion in 'Engine / Swaps etc.' started by ElJoemino, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ElJoemino

ElJoemino Not-quite-so-new-guy

I bought a used 97 engine with everything and I am not sure about what to do. Alarm system,ABS, stuff like that. I also don't know if I should buy the granny as well or keep mine. I have a turbo 350c. The 97 is in a truck. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Anubis

Anubis Royal Smart Person

I put a 96' Corvette LT1 in my truck 20 years ago. Back then HP tuners didn't exist so I spent $1,200 on an ACELL DFI computer and harness. Your best option is to keep the factory computer and have lt1.com eliminate VATS, rear o2 sensors, etc. This link has a lot of useful info on what you need to keep in the factory harness to make your LT1 run. Spend some time here reading.....They will also flash your ECM for a small fee of $75. Good luck with your swap.

http://lt1swap.com/all_lt1.htm

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ElJoemino

ElJoemino Not-quite-so-new-guy

I am definitely going to try this guy out. I will need somebody to reprogram the computer. Thanks very much. I also found out that I do not have an LT1 since it does not have aluminum heads,it's just a Vortec I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Opie Knievel

Opie Knievel Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Silver

You're actually probably better off with the Vortec. The heads on the Vortec are really good. They were based on or designed from the LT1. I can't remember which now. You won't have to worry about the Optispark problems of the LT1. You can get a carburetor intake for it from a few different sources. You can get 350-400 hp out of it pretty easily. Cam swap and an intake should get you there. That's what I'm gonna put in my Monte Carlo (eventually).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Opie Knievel

Opie Knievel Moderator

Oh, I just remembered, if you use a bigger cam you'll have to address the valve springs. I'll try to find some links so you can read up on it a little more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DRIVEN

DRIVEN Comic Book Super Hero

So, is it an iron headed LT1 or a Vortec? Sounds like you don't really know what you bought. Photos would help us help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Opie Knievel

Opie Knievel Moderator

If it's a '97 from a truck, it's a Vortec. Pics would make it easier. There were Vortec 305's. Hopefully it's not one of those. Casting numbers and pics and we can ID it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DRIVEN

DRIVEN Comic Book Super Hero

Yeah, I caught that it was in a truck in the first post but wasn't clear if it was from the truck since it was being called an LT1.
    For simplicity's sake I'd say carb swap if it's a Vortec. There weren't nearly as many "Vortec 5000s" out there but it's possible so, like Opie said, casting numbers would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1979Calais

1979Calais G-Body Guru

I would stay away from the LT1, been putting one in my car for awhile now and I wish I had went with a LS. If you need any help with the LT1, most likely I have an answer.

#9 1979Calais, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ribbedroof

Ribbedroof Royal Smart Person

Why? LT1 seems like a simpler swap....OE oil pan fits almost every chassis, stock 1st gen SBC mounts, and the electronics are no harder than an LS.

I'm sure there is more support for the LS these days, but for a mild build LT1 works fine. As an aside, I never see low mile LS dropouts for cheap in this market.....and most have 200K+ miles of truck use (abuse?). LT1s are getting harder to find, but still lots of lower mile roadmasters out there, and wrecked ones are cheap, since NOBODY fixes them.

Not saying I wouldn't go LS in the future, by the time I get there, every possible combination will have been tried :doh:

• Agree Agree x 1