Help with 97 LT 1 swap on 86 Elco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I get why you'd want fuel injection but the Vortec "spider" injectors are notorious for going bad. Personally, that's probably the last GM fuel injection system I'd ever put on my engine. I'd go with TBI before I'd use it.

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Well its not that hard, but I did change some things that made it a pain. I found out that my car was the problem and not the LT1 a day or 2 ago. Its an easy install. Bleeding the radiator is a messy job.

Yes....and make sure you keep the optispark dry while burping the system!. If you haven't already done so you might want to replace the water pump and connect a small hose to the vent hole. Primary cause for optispark failure is the water pump seal leaking into the opti through the weep hole in the pump casting. I tapped it and threaded a small barb fitting with a hose that diverts fluid away from the opti.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Andebe

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2017
Indiana
I bought a used 97 engine with everything and I am not sure about what to do. Alarm system,ABS, stuff like that. I also don't know if I should buy the granny as well or keep mine. I have a turbo 350c. The 97 is in a truck. Any help would be appreciated.
I cant be the only one who wants to know if you ended up buying the previous owners "granny" ? By all means,keep yours! But the idea of a back up granny is intriguing. Hmmm...

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
Are you going carb or F.I.?

I went FI, its already installed and running now.
How well does the Bowers setup work? I looked at that, but saw there didn't appear to be very much belt wrap on the crank pulley.

Works great! I thought the belt was too close in one spot, but have no problems.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
Yes....and make sure you keep the optispark dry while burping the system!. If you haven't already done so you might want to replace the water pump and connect a small hose to the vent hole. Primary cause for optispark failure is the water pump seal leaking into the opti through the weep hole in the pump casting. I tapped it and threaded a small barb fitting with a hose that diverts fluid away from the opti.

I just install the water pump last night, wish i had seen this early.

ElJoemino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 8, 2017
I cant be the only one who wants to know if you ended up buying the previous owners "granny" ? By all means,keep yours! But the idea of a back up granny is intriguing. Hmmm...
Grannual ha ha ha. You know I meant transmission.. Stupid auto correct.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I hate to pile on but the Vortec injection wouldn't be my first choice by a long shot. The engine itself is great but the fuel system leaves a lot to be desired. If you leave everything as the factory intended it will run just fine -- like a Chevy truck. You can't deviate much with a cam swap without tuning. Injectors are not upgradeable. Spiders are somewhat prone to failure and expensive. Distributors wear out prematurely (also, always use AC Delco cap and rotor). Fuel pumps have to be up to snuff for early spider system to work at all. Plus, the whole system is pretty ugly.
Maybe all of this is fine for your El Camino if you use it like a work truck and never pop the hood to show it off.
I really like the longblock you have. But I think you might be happier in the longrun by putting a carb intake and aftermarket "self-learning" EFI system on it. Least amount of hassle plus it looks good when its done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor