Help with engine tapping noise/ticking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttytime1985

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2009
Hi, I bought a 1985 Cutlass v6 231 144,000 miles and it makes a very light ticking noise when its idles but when I rev the engine to a certain rpm it makes a loud rattling noise and if I rev it higher you can't really hear it anymore, I cleaned out the egr/passages. I removed the belt from the smog pump because it was making noise, but I still can't figure it out. It sounds exactly like this car and does the same http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7IF1-8sh74 :(

Any help would be greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
What is your oil pressure at? It could be a bad bearing.

cuttytime1985

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2009
Well i switched it out to rally gauges and tomorrow I'm going to swap out the oil pressure switch, one question though does my car have a vacuum distributor advance? or is it electronic. Thanks.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Your dist. should be electronic with no vacuum advance if it is still computer controlled. In case you didn't know, the wiring for the rally gauges is different then the regular style gauges.

cuttytime1985

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2009
Well I put in the gauges and new oil pressure switch and my pressure is 60 at cold idle and when warmed up its around 31 in park, and when I put it in gear drops to about the middle of 0-30. Also whenever I put it in reverse the engine stalls out... Whats the normal operating temp for it?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
check your harmonic damper, i've seen them do similar things.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
The clicking is probably a sticky lifter. I ran some engine flush thru mine before changing the oil and after a few weeks it went away.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

bordercutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 26, 2008
Lloydminster Alberta/Saskatchewan
Seafoam the sucker until it just about dies, and then take it out for one helluva bagging. Don't forget to check your exhaust manifold bolts for tightness. I had one that backed off (the retainer lock had rusted away) and it sounding like ticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor