Help with mini starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
IMG_0057.JPG
I'm just getting ready to finally start up my new motor and the last thing I have yet to buy is a starter. I'm heading out to go get one today but I am not sure weather this motor requires a straight bolt pattern or a staggered one.. Ive attached a pic in hopes someone could point me in the right direction. I'm also not sure how many teeth are on my flex plate but planned to get one that will fit both sizes.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
depending on the mini starter you are getting most have 4 holes so you can use them with 168 teeth or 153 teeth. You don't use the staggered bolt hole in the block

ma5H_h57puFLQD2DMYUFNPw.jpg

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
IMG_0058.JPG
depending on the mini starter you are getting most have 4 holes so you can use them with 168 teeth or 153 teeth. You don't use the staggered bolt hole in the block

ma5H_h57puFLQD2DMYUFNPw.jpg

Thanks for the info as always! I just got back from meeting the guy the sells starters and he ended giving me this starter and said it should work without a problem. It looks like the same one in your pic and He did say if for whatever reason it didn't work he would exchange it for one that did so I left satisfied lol

Thanks again

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the two identical shims are uses to position the teeth meshing with the flexplate gears,, you shouldn't need them. The other shims is to pull the body back which pulls the teeth back in case they are going in to deep

Reactions: 1 user

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks, that was helpful. It seems that either that starter might not be the right one though. I can't seem to get it to clear my long tube headers. These headers have given me nothing but hassle and I'm truly regretting not spending money on a proper set for my application. I'm not exactly sure where this leaves me but it looks as though my hopes of breaking in my new motor before winter or now over lol

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you tried to index the starter? And if it is a tight fit with your headers you might want to consider wiring your starter so you can use a remote ford style solenoid.

Last edited:

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Unfortunately it's the actually mounting block that's hitting header. Might be able to cut the corner off of it.. I'll have think over my options and make a decision on what to do tomorrow. It's always something it seems lol
I don't say it much on here, but welcome to the welcome to the world of hotrodding which tends to coincide with Murphys law! It's always the stupid things that can slow down progress....but usually there's a simple resolution to the issue. Hope you get er figured out so you can give us all joy with a video of that motor running!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

dave_s1987

Greasemonkey
Oct 8, 2015
Ontario Canada
I don't say it much on here, but welcome to the welcome to the world of hotrodding which tends to coincide with Murphys law! It's always the stupid things that can slow down progress....but usually there's a simple resolution to the issue. Hope you get er figured out so you can give us all joy with a video of that motor running!

You're absolutely right! It's the little things that are up all my time this summer.. but that's part of the game i guess. I'll figure out soon enough what my plan of action is as I really don't have any other choice but
to finish what I've started.. plus it'll be that much sweeter in the end once its all said and done. I just wish I could push back winter 1 more month lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor