Help with out of state purchase and hauling

Status
Not open for further replies.

way_out_there

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2018
Hello All,

I am looking to get into the g-body owners club! :banana:I have located a vehicle that would work great for my project, but the costs of me going to to pick it up and hauling it back home will equal what it costs to pay a shipper to do the job for me. Plus, I would not have to burn valuable vacation days to accomplish this feat, or risk any breakdowns or failure with my towing equipment.

I am looking for some direction from someone else on this site that may have done what I am looking at doing: a private vehicle sale out of state, and hiring a hauling firm to deliver the vehicle. The vehicle is not extremely expensive, so I am willing to take some risk on it and trust the pictures I have received as a fair representation of the vehicles condition. I am not worried if the vehicle is hauled on an open trailer, as that is what I would be doing if I did this myself.

Things I could use help with:

1: What kind of sales contract to create to protect myself from being ripped off as much as possible, without alienating the seller. Do I demand the title be sent to me next day air or ? as a condition of payment? How to be sure the seller will allow the hauler to take possession of the vehicle?

2: Hiring a reputable hauler. I did some online quotes to get a cost idea , Roadrunner was one of them.

I know this may seem silly to some, but this would occupy 3 to 4 days of my time otherwise depending on weather. And when you add in the wear and tear on my equipment on top of the fuel, tolls, food, & motels, it hardly makes money sense to haul it myself. I wish I could find something close, but I might have a diamond in the rough here that is difficult to pass up.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The only other thing I would suggest, is contacting a reputable, knowledgeable, local member or classic car appraiser to check the car over for rust, old body damage and any other issues....including clean title, etc.
That might be more cost effective for you, rather than having to schlep to some distant place...also being the time constraint issue.

I myself, would naturally like to look the car over first hand.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
A lot of trust has to happen on all parties involved. First of all buying a car sight unseen is probably something I won't do although I have bought a car from California but had some eyes there. Payment will be between you and the seller, Once again you will send a bunch of money to a stranger (do it through bank transfer) because if it was me the car doesn't move till I'm paid. Have him mail the title when he is paid (guaranteed postage) now you basically need to do the same with a transporter although he may wait till delivery to get paid. Also get pictures of the car prior to shipment to protect against damage during shipment. As I said I kinda write off cars that I won't go get myself but I've taken some long road trips. As Longroof suggested use the G-body fourm and see if someone located by the car will go look at for you. They can be very informative and get a feel of the situation.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I couldn't have said it any better...;) There is a certain amount of risk buying anything long distance without seeing it in person. Make sure you cross your T's and dot your i's. In other words, make sure you do your homework.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
1 way plane ticket, motel room, hit the DMV in the morning, and drive it home RoadKill style!
That might be another option. Providing the car is well maintained and roadworthy. One way to find out, huh.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I can't hep you, I look for any excuse for a road trip and would welcome the opportunity to travel a few days to pick up a car that I wanted. I never find any day wasted when I am traveling, there is always something to see.

Reactions: 1 user

way_out_there

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2018
All,

I agree that I should get eyes on it, but I have received enough pictures that I am confident that it will be usable for a project. This is not a high dollar vehicle, so I am willing to gamble a bit. And I am tied up for the next 8 to 10 days, so there is a strong chance I lose an opportunity as I can't move right now. This vehicle runs, but is not registered, and has not been on the road in some time. It is not road worthy.

I'll cough up the beans as to why I am hesitant to go get this myself: the car is located in New York, and would require going around the city. I am in Wisconsin. The traffic there makes Chicago traffic look like a suburb. And more tolls than I would like to deal with, especially with a twin axle trailer in tow. And this time of year, it could be a real challenge for me if the weather does not cooperate, as the entire trip is through the snow belt. I calculated my trip costs all in, and added a 20% buffer for just in cases. I can have the car hauled for roughly the same amount, without risk to any of my equipment. Even if the car was a dud, it would almost be better and cheaper than me driving 30+ hours total, risking breakdowns or an accident. Heck, every time the wife and I take a road trip vacation, we almost always rent a car to do it, even though we have vehicles that are capable. We use it as an insurance policy.

I am trying to do this on a tight budget, so flights, taxis, etc. all really add up when in the NY area, as I've been there before and it was an eye opener for daily expenses! I could wind up spending as much chasing around as I would pay for the vehicle, which is a waste in my eyes. I want to apply that to my first upgrade parts purchase! (y)

Lilbowtie & Longroof79: I may follow-up on your suggestions, and see if there is someone here that is close that would be willing to take a peek on my behalf, without stealing it from under me! I would be willing to compensate them for their time, I am not looking for a freebie.

Thanks all, share any more input you may have.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Couple things:
Google car haulers. I got a quote on hauling a car I was interested in from 100 miles west of Dallas to Reno Georgia for $625.00. There is a huge market for car haulers as they are delivering from auto auctions to dealers. If you are flexible on delivery all the better.
There are also inspection companies that will inspect the car for you. They hired guys like me to look at, photograph, drive and do a summation of the vehicle condition. When I did them they busted my a** on doing a good job and I had all the work I wanted. I looked at vehicles from a guy in Russia looking at a Dodge Ram to a 65 Chevy in Dothan Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor