CUTLASS Help With Pulse/Delay Wipers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don M.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Halifax, NS, Can
Hope I'm posting this in the right place? I need a replacement wiper motor for my 1984 Hurst with pulse/delay wipers but every rebuilt motor I look at is missing a couple of connections that are on the old one. These mate to the connections on the old plastic cover which I need to swap from the old one. Can I make one of the new motors work or is there a rebuilt made for my application or do I just give up my delay?

Thanks.....

Don M.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Halifax, NS, Can
I need a rebuilt wiper motor for my '84 HO with pulse/delay motor but every rebuilt motor I can find do not have the connections to mate to the pulse board in my plastic cover. Can I swap these out of my old motor or is there a motor avaivable with the right configuration?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Don,
From what I can tell, the wiper motors for delay/ pulse and non-delay are the same. It's the circuit board and plastic cap that transforms it into a pulse/ delay wiper motor.
I noticed that whoever sells a rebuilt wiper motor, the delay circuit board is usually not included. It will usually come with the washer pump....not always, though. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=32420&cc=1222759&jsn=402
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1311222&cc=1222759&jsn=403

What is it doing, or not doing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Don M.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Halifax, NS, Can
Well I'm pretty sure the motor is fudged so I was trying to get a rebuilt. The one I looked at locally is identical EXCEPT the extension for the 2 terminals that mate up to the terminals in the plastic covers are not there. After checking any on line (mostly by Cardone ) none have these extentions but I guess I can take them from my old motor and put them on the new IF that will work. I just didn't want to pay money for something that won't work. The Cardone # I come up with is 40-175

I assumed just about every Cutlass Supreme or HO would have pulse wipers but saw no rebuilt motors that said that they were for pulse wipers

Thanks......

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You're right. They normally don't indicate the delay/ pulse function on reman'd wiper motors.
You will more than likely have to remove the plastic cap and pulse/ delay circuit board from your current motor and add it onto your new one. Pretty simple.
The additional terminals are on the delay/ pulse circuit board...that's why you won't see them if the board isn't present.

If you do trade in your motor as a core, just don't forget to remove the wiper linkage arm.

Probably in later years, delay was a standard feature in most G-body cars.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The non pulse has a 2 wire connector and the pulse has a 3 wire connector

StandardWiperWasher.jpg

DelayPulseWipep-Washer.jpg

Don M.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Halifax, NS, Can
OK if the attachment comes thru here is mine. Any rebuilt I look at has the spot to put the extensions but no extensions soooooooo I guess I can just take them from mine and put them on the new one.

Trudeau?

Attachments

• IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    550.3 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    551.1 KB · Views: 302

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Just remove the green circuit board with plastic cap assembly (pic#2) and replace it onto the new motor. Make sure the slot in the wheel lines up with the lever in pic#1.

• Agree

Don M.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2018
Halifax, NS, Can
I was going to do that but was unsure if the motor would work with it because I still need to move the connectors from the old motor to the new. Will take a chance I guess because I see no alternative.... Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor