HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
Ok I'm at a mid-way point with my project now. I picked up my freshly built, Olds 358 from the shop the other day. I would like advice, on what stall should I run with my cam, and transmission. I still would like to drive it comfortably as a daily driver, and have lots of fun in it, as well. I have Edelbrock Performer Heads, and I want to keep the 200-4R transmission. I would like to be able to cruise comfortable at 60-80 mph.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Can you give us a little more build info? What size can is installed? What intake and carb or efi do you plan on using? What is your current rear gear ratio and do you plan on changing it?
Shooting from the hip here....I would say nothing larger than 2500 stall. With the overdrive it would help, but you always wanna make sure that all the parts compliment each other so you can achieve your end goal.
Scott

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Post your cam specs. That is a direct correlation with stall speed. Figure out if you are going to use a lockup or non lockup converter, and look in to getting the 2004r rebuilt and upgraded. That olds 350 can make quick work of it. What do you plan on doing with gears in the rear? With the 4s on it 3.73s would be a nice highway gear with the overdrive and still have good take off.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
Can you give us a little more build info? What size can is installed? What intake and carb or efi do you plan on using? What is your current rear gear ratio and do you plan on changing it?
Shooting from the hip here....I would say nothing larger than 2500 stall. With the overdrive it would help, but you always wanna make sure that all the parts compliment each other so you can achieve your end goal.
Scott
2016-10-12 11.08.53.jpg

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
I already have 3.73 gears and the shop mechanic said the motor was bored over 0.030, and was now a 358. I'm getting the tray built with a super servo, and billed drums, just have to come up with extra cash. Haven't made my mind of about the 4s. I do like the way the 22s sit on there. Think I may find some 22s that fit better. Thanks for your advice I appreciate you taking the time. All of you. I want a lock up converter.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
You would be safe running a lock up converter with a 2500 up to 3000rpm stall. That cam has a nice powerband so what I recommended should fit nicely into your build. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
One thing to consider is how 'loose' the particular brand converter you go with. You can have two converters, both say 2800 stall and one could be really loose and the other really tight. We need someone with some experience on lock-up converters with a 200-4R to chime in. You might do a little research on the Turbo Buick forum since lots of those guys are running performance built 200-4R's. I'm wondering what the stock stall is on a late model stock (say 86-87) GN converter is?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
This is a good read. According to this the stock GN stall is 2200. That's a bit too tame in my opinion...
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/converters.html
Here's a Monster Transmission 2400-2800 stall lockup (27 spline)
http://www.monstertransmission.com/...ll-27-Spline-Lockup_p_11931.html#.V_50s42QK70
Not familiar with this brand. Summit advertises it as a 2800 stall. It has a good review from someone that appears to know what they are talking about. Worth looking at in my view....
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ape-48432/overview/

You get the idea. Do some more looking. TCI offers a few 3000 stall converters. It would be good to get some feedback on how a few of these different brands feel with a 200-4R with a particular setup. My torque converter experience is with a lockup 4L70E in my daily so I don't have 200-4R experience.

Reactions: 1 user

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
One thing to consider is how 'loose' the particular brand converter you go with. You can have two converters, both say 2800 stall and one could be really loose and the other really tight. We need someone with some experience on lock-up converters with a 200-4R to chime in. You might do a little research on the Turbo Buick forum since lots of those guys are running performance built 200-4R's. I'm wondering what the stock stall is on a late model stock (say 86-87) GN converter is?
Ok I will look into the Buick Forum. What is the difference in a loose converter, and a tight one? How will they respond different from the other in the same type of engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor