Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrik Kasinger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2017
Ah, Owensboro area. I'm in Louisville. Listen to any recommendations/advice given gere buddy, alot of these guys have been around the sun many more times than I, and have firsthand experiences venturing into the metalwork that needs attention.
However, I'm 6 years deep into my '87 Cutlass resto that I've had since 2001. New roof skin, quarters, rockers, etc have made it like a new car....it's at the paint shop now and should be shiney in a week or so.
Where did you get your skins from. I will take a gander at them if I can make it work I can build my own light skinned body

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Where did you get your skins from. I will take a gander at them if I can make it work I can build my own light skinned body

The quarter panels came from rockauto via Sherman brand. The roof skin was cut from a donor '87 at Pull a Part, carried out, and swapped by my brothern law and bodyguy. My glass bolt on hood came from UP22 in Cali.....not the best but not many people offered them when I bought it. Hopefully, once painted it will be impossible to tell of all the metalwork done.

This pic is from the other day before it got trailered to the paint shop....
20171105_183842.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
When you say "changing the body to fiberglass or aluminum", are you just talking about panels or the entire shell?

The only fiberglass pieces I know are available are hoods and trunk. You may already have an aluminum hood as they were an option. I thought I'd seen fiberglass bumpers at one time but a quick web search only turned up '81-up bumpers so maybe I hallucinated them. No light doors or fenders that I know of.
From the photos it looks like you need a roof and floors. Probably quarters too. I'd recommend looking really close at the rear of the frame. I know you said it's perfect but that's a known deficiency with Gbodys. Pop that lower trim off too. Rust is known to hide behind it as well. How is the trunk floor? Lower edges of windshield and 3 back glass?
If this is going to the strip or getting more than 300lbs of torque you will probably be money ahead to do an 8.5", 8.8" or 9" swap now rather than spend a dime on the 7.5".

You're not brand new to the forum so I'm sure you've been poking around. The G platform is over 40 years old so a lot of guys here have figured out what works and what doesn't. I learn several new things every day. Their experience has saved me thousands.

Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

'78 and '87 quarters are different. Generally speaking, '78-'80 parts are tougher to find.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Welcome To the forum. I see you have the Cutlass disease in the rear. I am rebuilding a 79 and had to do a lot of body and frame work. I ended up putting a new floor pan and welding in new rear frame pieces. I lucked out and found a Florida car and cut off the frame behind the wheels and made off with frame and rear bumper. Lots of work and time. The rest of the frame was great and sheet metal was decent. I still wonder if I would been better off buying a southern car instead of a Mi car. I was young and dumb and full of something? It is 25 years latter and I am still working on it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Derrik Kasinger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2017
The quarter panels came from rockauto via Sherman brand. The roof skin was cut from a donor '87 at Pull a Part, carried out, and swapped by my brothern law and bodyguy. My glass bolt on hood came from UP22 in Cali.....not the best but not many people offered them when I bought it. Hopefully, once painted it will be impossible to tell of all the metalwork done.

This pic is from the other day before it got trailered to the paint shop.... View attachment 76877
I like the looks of it I will keep all of these parts in mind

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
As mentioned there is a complete frontend which includes the bumper in the moulding, little bit of work to attach it and cutting out headlight, grille and signal lights.
If the sail panels aren't eaten threw then it's a pretty ease fix, remove the rust, treat it and then skim coat with liquid mastic, prime it with a high build primer and sand, only time!
If you can weld then you got it pretty much beat.
Everything else has already been covered by previous members
Take it one step at a time!

Derrik Kasinger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2017
'78 and '87 quarters are different. Generally speaking, '78-'80 parts are tougher to find.
Ok that's fine with me as long as there isn't a big difference in the years. This car is going to be a street/strip car but mainly strip.

Derrik Kasinger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2017
Welcome To the forum. I see you have the Cutlass disease in the rear. I am rebuilding a 79 and had to do a lot of body and frame work. I ended up putting a new floor pan and welding in new rear frame pieces. I lucked out and found a Florida car and cut off the frame behind the wheels and made off with frame and rear bumper. Lots of work and time. The rest of the frame was great and sheet metal was decent. I still wonder if I would been better off buying a southern car instead of a Mi car. I was young and dumb and full of something? It is 25 years latter and I am still working on it. Good luck.
Thank you. This will be my first big build from non running to running and decent looking. I have to replace the floor plans for sure where did you get your from where they in different pieces or was it the whole floor plan?

Derrik Kasinger

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2017
As mentioned there is a complete frontend which includes the bumper in the moulding, little bit of work to attach it and cutting out headlight, grille and signal lights.
If the sail panels aren't eaten threw then it's a pretty ease fix, remove the rust, treat it and then skim coat with liquid mastic, prime it with a high build primer and sand, only time!
If you can weld then you got it pretty much beat.
Everything else has already been covered by previous members
Take it one step at a time!
What do you mean by sail panels. I'm used to working and building trucks big trucks. So this is my first car. Where can I find this front end part? What did you use to cut everything out with

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor