Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I'm not into "cobbing" by any means, but to keep the cars authenticity for originality ( and to save GOBS of time and aggravation) You could NICELY intermediate the power wire to the blower motor, and instal easily a toggle switch under the dash , nicely hidden. To me this would be less of a COB then installing something the car never came with from the factory, and it CAN BE removed/ reversed quickly if you don't want this switch any longer , (JMO)

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
No but was thinking of put one in later but looks like it is what it is
The entire duct work, dash (because of the lac of ac vents) EVERYTHING would have to be changed out, unless you have a donor car, it would be a long and painful process locating and finding every little thing you needed.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Chances are a non ac car would have these " dummy plates" in place of the AC vents, HOWEVER if they are removable, you need to replace them with the actual adjustable AC vents, pics below
1589229598381.png
1589229607391.png

Tommy 1979montecarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 11, 2020
I'm not into "cobbing" by any means, but to keep the cars authenticity for originality ( and to save GOBS of time and aggravation) You could NICELY intermediate the power wire to the blower motor, and instal easily a toggle switch under the dash , nicely hidden. To me this would be less of a COB then installing something the car never came with from the factory, and it CAN BE removed/ reversed quickly if you don't want this switch any longer , (JMO)
Thanks very helpful

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
.....if you go to the bone yard, often times you can find a vehicle with fog lights and you could pop one of those toggle switches out and use those, they are made to handle the amperage, and it might set you back only a $1!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There should be a molded in "block" only allowing the lever only to go down to the "LOW" position. A fix is trimming that block out which will allow the lever go into the actual "OFF" position. Later panels did have an "OFF" position. I have one of each for my heater conversion.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
For the here and now, decide if sometimes you really want that fan to be turned OFF; if YES then you have the options of a "panel with OFF" or the switch that blk7gxn has mentioned ... I think the switch idea would be easier in the short-term as it's easier to reverse if ultimately you don't like it

When it comes to personal comfort, I disagree with the idea of being drenched in sweat after a 15-minute drive in a thunderstorm just to maintain the car's originality -- not an issue if you will never drive it in that kind of weather, whenever/however you are using the car will determine whether you go through with an A/C conversion .... if you do go through with the A/C conversions the "panel with OFF" could make more sense BUT be aware there are a number of companies that make aftermarket A/C kits for different cars, they may already have a kit for you or could put-together a "generic" system (Old Air Products comes to mind as I am considering one of their systems for a different project) which could include an improvement on the panel

Chicora Hillbilly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2019
General Motors had the blower run all the time to use excess power from the alternator back then. I don;t remember the exact why but it had something to do with that.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I respect blk7gxn's sentiments for factory originality, however, my dash was already thrashed, so I added a glow light on/off switch to my heater switch. Off subject, but while I was adding the on/off switch, I also added cup holders above. These were added possibly as long as 15 years ago, and have been in constant use since. That added switch was a handy feature when the bearings on the heater blower started to intermittently squeal on cold morning start-ups. Just switch off and then back on again.
About two years ago I added a 3 gauge panel to the right side of the instrument cluster, and last summer fashioned a new face plate for the stereo/heater, along with a bracket for the power window and door lock toggles.
20200514_194022.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor