**** Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Putting the ac compressor and air pump back on the 85 442. First time ever. I got lost in trying to line up the bolts and spacers. I forgot to put the ac belt on. The air pump is on.
I had to walk away. Can I loosen the air pump and slip off the belt to put on the A/c compressor belt? Or will I have to remove compressor completely again? Was a pita to get bolts line back up.

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
Yes, expect that you can adjust the air pump, a/c compressor, etc to allow replacing belts without loosening or removing mounting braces and brackets. Of course I'm talking stock configuration here.

Reactions: 1 users

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
Should be able to loosen the air pump belt tension bolts and rotate it out of the way to get the A/C belt on.

Reactions: 1 user

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Ok. Can someone walk me through putting the air pump on, then the A/c. There is a long bolt with a spacer on bottom of AC, that the Smog pump shares. This is my issue.

once I tighten the two adjustment bolts for Smog pump. I have to remove the long bolt with spacer to put AC compressor on. The reason being, you cant access an adjustment bolt for smog pump that’s below ac compressor on the block. Once I do this. I can’t get the bracket to line back up for the a/c compressor.
Hope this makes sense.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
View with ac compressor sitting. Lining these holes up are impossible after air pump is tightened.
B40644BA-9D5A-4CAF-9220-85E70BF347A8.jpeg

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
view with compressor off. This is one of the adjustment bolts for air pump that I can’t access with ac compressor on. So I tighten then put ac compressor on and that’s where I’m having trouble getting ac bolt to line up.

FC675137-EFA4-49C5-924F-A576BA175302.jpeg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
One option: Put the long compressor bolt in while the AIR pump loosened. Line up the pump, tighten those two slider bolts. Then remove the compressor long bolt. Install compressor.

Might work.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
One option: Put the long compressor bolt in while the AIR pump loosened. Line up the pump, tighten those two slider bolts. Then remove the compressor long bolt. Install compressor.

Might work.
That’s been my go to so far. I did that the first time. Has to beat on it but got the compressor on, but realized I forgot the ac belt. So tonight, got all the belts on. Torque down air pump, then removed the long bolt. Everything was way off for the long bolt. Beat on it but never got it through. Going to try again here in a min.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
I got it. Just needed to keep the air pump bolt loose, (separate bracket) then torque down belt adjustments, slide in ac/air bolt. Use a screw driver to hold the alignment.

On a side note. I already had the water pump pulley on but no studs. Didn’t realize it until I was huntin 4 bolts. Luckily the belts were just mocked up and nothing was torque down. I’m learning this sh*t as I go.

Thanks for all the help. I know it’s not a monster motor I’m working on and basic sh*t. But I’m damn proud of this 307. Haha

Should be back running tomorrow. Tighten everything and check her over.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor