Helping out fellow hotrodders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Today on my way back to the shop from
doing a shred event, i noticed a bright red 2nd gen camaro broke down on the other side of the highway with a couple sitting in the shade. Something inside told me if it was still there on my way home to stop and help.
Sure enough, there it sat, hood up, an older couple sitting in chairs in the shade. At first they were hesitant for help, but i insisted. I always keep tools in my trunk just in case. After some troubleshooting, it was clear the hei coil took a poop!
I was going to go pickup a coil and swap it out, but they already had a rollback on the way. However, i found out their roadside only covered 20 miles, then $4/mile afterwards....they were on their way to a family reunion about 40 miles away! Instead, i got them to cancel it and used my AAA and got a rollback for them that is good for 100 miles. In the meantime, another guy stopped to offer help. He turned out to be a mechanic and a G body guy! While i waited for the tow truck, he ran to get a coil hoping he would be back before the truck arrived. Unfortunately, he was a few minutes late as the camaro was strapped down.

It turns out the husband is a pastor in a small town outside of Georgetown KY. Everything happens for a reason i believe. Better yet, the wife had an identical camaro as her first car, but sold it after a few years. Her son always remembered her talking about the car, and found this one in a barn up in Ohio. He drug it home, tore it down, changed the color from white to red, and restored it as a birthday gift to his mom last year!

This was their first road trip, and a memorable one at that. Needless to say, i stopped to just do a good deed and help out some fellow muscle car lovers. However, i left with a few new friends, and a restored faith in humanity for the wife who was skeptical about total strangers trying to help. The wife took a pic of us guys, me left, pastor in the center, and chris who went to get a coil...
FullSizeR.jpg

Last but not least, a few pics of the camaro. Not shown really well, but it's rocking some red rallyes to match, and goodyear eagle st's, buckets, console, and a 350 in need of some tlc.
20170617_163204.jpg
20170617_163528.jpg
20170617_163424.jpg

It felt great to help them out, they kept offering to compensate me, i just told them to pay it forward! Thanks for reading guys, i just really wanted to share this experience!

If any of you guys have any stories of similar situations, share away. Maybe we can get this thread rolling as a good deed type of thing.

• Winner
Reactions: 19 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I'm a firm believer in the "Every thing happens for a reason" as well as "Pay it forward" way of thinking.
You are proof that there is still good hearted people among us!:notworthy:

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I'm a firm believer in the "Every thing happens for a reason" as well as "Pay it forward" way of thinking.
You are proof that there is still good hearted people among us!:notworthy:
Thanks man... I've been broken down in the cutlass before, people just driving by. Then that 1 person stops and it makes it all better.
Another quick story....i was getting gas one day and this guy had a bada$$ pro street 71 camaro. It wouldn't start. People were gathering around but nobody offered help. Here i am, in a neon at the time and started getting out tools to help. The battery cable was loose on the starter, so we got it fixed real quick. That big block beast fired up, we shook hands, and parted ways. We gotta help each other out....there is so much negative in this world right now, us gearheads have a mutual respect and understanding that can be almost understood without words.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Very classy thing to do Scott. Good man. Cool story. Thanks for sharing. That car needs A/C!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Very classy thing to do Scott. Good man. Cool story. Thanks for sharing. That car needs A/C!
It needs A/C and some attention to detail under the hood. It was a nice car, but my OCD was going crazy when i was messing with it. There were all kinds of oem connectors dangling around, the plug wires were routed silly, and more.

Reactions: 3 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Update: the couple made it to their destination awhile back, and i was informed by text that is was in fact a bad coil! They swapped the coil and it fired right up!

• Winner

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Update: the couple made it to their destination awhile back, and i was informed by text that is was in fact a bad coil! They swapped the coil and it fired right up!
Scott, I'm curious to know what led you to suspect the coil? I would have suspected the module. I want to learn from your diagnosis.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Scott, I'm curious to know what led you to suspect the coil? I would have suspected the module. I want to learn from your diagnosis.
Well Jared, we all know that a engine needs 3 things to run....fuel,air, and spark. It was definitely getting fuel & air. So i pulled #1 plug wire and did the screwdriver test to see if a spark was present. No spark, so i pulled the dizzy cap, checked the terminals on the underside which looked fine. The rotor looked new, as well as the module.
I know all too well that new stuff goes bad, but the rotor and module looked like very little miles new. The coil however looked aged.
I guess it might have been a hunch, but it was the correct one.
Oh, i forgot to mention in the original post, the owner said they were cruising and it just started missing, shut down, then backfired several times. This told me there was no way to burn the fuel in the chambers, so spark seemed the obvious go-to for me.

I did offer advice to them, the plugs looked old(rusty around the wrench flats). I suggested once they get home to do a plug change as well. I'm sure the son had good intentions on building the car, but it needs some attention before they will be comfortable enough to jump in and take off on a road trip again.

• Winner

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
Today on my way back to the shop from
doing a shred event, i noticed a bright red 2nd gen camaro broke down on the other side of the highway with a couple sitting in the shade. Something inside told me if it was still there on my way home to stop and help.
Sure enough, there it sat, hood up, an older couple sitting in chairs in the shade. At first they were hesitant for help, but i insisted. I always keep tools in my trunk just in case. After some troubleshooting, it was clear the hei coil took a poop!
I was going to go pickup a coil and swap it out, but they already had a rollback on the way. However, i found out their roadside only covered 20 miles, then $4/mile afterwards....they were on their way to a family reunion about 40 miles away! Instead, i got them to cancel it and used my AAA and got a rollback for them that is good for 100 miles. In the meantime, another guy stopped to offer help. He turned out to be a mechanic and a G body guy! While i waited for the tow truck, he ran to get a coil hoping he would be back before the truck arrived. Unfortunately, he was a few minutes late as the camaro was strapped down.

It turns out the husband is a pastor in a small town outside of Georgetown KY. Everything happens for a reason i believe. Better yet, the wife had an identical camaro as her first car, but sold it after a few years. Her son always remembered her talking about the car, and found this one in a barn up in Ohio. He drug it home, tore it down, changed the color from white to red, and restored it as a birthday gift to his mom last year!

This was their first road trip, and a memorable one at that. Needless to say, i stopped to just do a good deed and help out some fellow muscle car lovers. However, i left with a few new friends, and a restored faith in humanity for the wife who was skeptical about total strangers trying to help. The wife took a pic of us guys, me left, pastor in the center, and chris who went to get a coil... View attachment 68616

Last but not least, a few pics of the camaro. Not shown really well, but it's rocking some red rallyes to match, and goodyear eagle st's, buckets, console, and a 350 in need of some tlc. View attachment 68617 View attachment 68618 View attachment 68619

It felt great to help them out, they kept offering to compensate me, i just told them to pay it forward! Thanks for reading guys, i just really wanted to share this experience!

If any of you guys have any stories of similar situations, share away. Maybe we can get this thread rolling as a good deed type of thing.
That's awesome I live in Georgetown ky. Great story and thanks for helping just shows there is still good people out there God bless ya.!!

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor