Hemi Charger Spanked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
if those hemi chargers don't seem as fast as they should be it may be due to the charger being a pig of a car...it's close to or over 4,000 lbs

and I hope your wife makes a speedy recovery...

my cousin owns an 08 5.7 r/t hemi charger. Its a one trick pony, it has awesome traction off the line on the street, thats it. I consider it slow, anything slower than my s/c 4.3 fullsize truck from a roll is just slow. I've had a few stock vtec hondas pull 2-3 lengths on me from a roll in that truck so yes the r/t charger would get destroyed by ricers. From 0-60 its got traction and does the job but from 40-50+ its just a terd. Maybe the newer versions with 20 more hp are better? Probably not torque numbers are still the same, I love seeing that r/t and a kid revving the engine and just know hes about to get shut down (usually its a kid wanting to race them).

the srt8 charger is a good bit faster, its got great traction off the line and it can pull up top too. One of these demolished my truck off the line a few years back, but from a roll pulled only 2 lengths from 50-90mph, IMO even that Is not very fast considering tuned old ls1 cars will pull 8 lengths from the same roll.

As you can tell I look forward to getting my cutlass ready for daily driving :twisted:

edit - you can buy police r/t's now for 4000$ in some northern states, seen the auctions myself online. If performance keeps going the way its goin the r/t's will be the next crown vic and we all know those are terdsacks

Everyone knows I share love for both chevy and mopar, more so for mopar.

The new chargers are nothing but disappointment to me. They are four door cars when the chargers of the day were always two doors. A better name for it is a dodge coronet, which was often offered as a 4 door. They are pigs and I test drove one and it had more blind spots than an 18 wheeler.

I take offense......my roadrunner weighs 4000lbs 🙁

patmckinneyracing said:
They are four door cars when the chargers of the day were always two doors.

That's what really puts me off about them. That's also why I really like the Challenger, because it's a 2 door. I always hate when a manufacturer pisses on a car's heritage by doing something goofy.

The Challenger is one of the few newer cars that I like. I saw the Hurst Challenger in person recently and it's an absolute stunner.

The Charger weighs 4300+ the Challenger 4250+ they ain't light! The Pontiac G8 GT at 361 h.p. was less than .1 slower in the qtr. mile than the Charger SRT8 with 425 h.p. The G8 GTP with 415 h.p. would just blow the doors off the Mopars! :wink:

Let’s see, you have the kid by over 100 cubic inches and probably a tick under a 1000 pounds. You also have the experience over the kid. Not very fair (or much of a race)……I love it.

Not to get into the right/wrong about street racing but here’s a short story. I grew up street racing in the golden age (late 60’s-early 70’s). Saturday nights were usually spent down on Hall street in St Louis. Usually there would be a few “old guys” (you know guys in their early 30s) that would show up with non-descript 5-10 year old 2 door sedans that looked like grandpa cars (Biscayne’s, Galaxies, Furys etc). They would in very short order prove to us 18-19 year olds who thought we knew everything that we really didn’t.

Fast forward to about 15 years ago, I’m cruising down the street one night in my 58 Chevy Biscayne 2dr post car (tri-power 383 stroker), and a kid in an early 70s Nova pulls up next to me . It wasn’t much of a race either, and the kid decides he’d rather make a right turn at the next red light rather line up again. I started laughing when I realized that some where along the line I must have learned enough to become one of the “old guys” I’d learned early on not to race against.

The 58 Chevy is long gone now, but my 83 El Camino still does me just fine.

I don't believe in fair races or fair fights, the object is to win! Hell, if every race was "fair", they'd all end in ties! :mrgreen:

how would it be unfair when the kid was the one that challenged begal...dumb kid reminded me of me when I was his age... :mrgreen:

I love a good street racing story :twisted:

I am scared of doing it anymore ever since I was caught street racing at 2am in Newport News, VA back in 2004. 106mph in a 45 zone. But I still can't help myself sometimes :mrgreen:

BTW good kill. It gives me hope for our GBody's to hear of one walking away from a new V8 powered car 8)

Stories like this are my continuing motivation to forge ahead with my 455 build. Nothing like restoring the checks and balances when the cocky *ss-hat wants to show out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor