Here are a couple of examples of why I hate restifying these cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The first pic is of the "reproduction" package tray ends versus the OE piece. Last time I did one of these Malibus, I welded some up out of steel, this was before the "repros" were available. Seems to me that if you were going to go to the trouble of making a mold, you might at least make the exposed area to OE-spec (notice the kickout at the back where it meets the lower garnish. Having the troughs for the pkg tray and sail panel would be nice to keep everything where it belongs, but also not done. I guess getting them done as injection-molded was too expensive, and i GUESS they're better than nothing, but not sure they're really worth the price.

Next up...package trays. SUPER thin, but mine was gone, so no reference point there. You can see the color is a far cry from the OE vinyl cut from an unexposed area of the lower seat cushion, and the board part is even lighter than that. I was told by the sponsoring vendor that this is the correct color for '81.

I guess I should have gone with the secondary plan, which was converting everything to black...which all cars should be inside, anyway, IMO.

Car is likely going to be for sale when the seats are done, this is going to bug me to no end. Youngest daughter might end up driving it....we'll see i guess.
SAM_1847.JPG
SAM_1848.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The aftermarket doesn't like or care for dark maple in my opinion. If it was used in a MCSS it'll be dead on. I do wish that my car had a black original interior but GM had to say no to black after '80. If it wasn't for the investment into paint & dye I'd be going black on black.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The aftermarket doesn't like or care for dark maple in my opinion. If it was used in a MCSS it'll be dead on. I do wish that my car had a black original interior but GM had to say no to black after '80. If it wasn't for the investment into paint & dye I'd be going black on black.

Amen to that

PUI sent a sample of the maroon vinyl for 81....yeah, it's dark claret...ala' MCSS

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Beside the color, cloth for the seats in the right pattern is a tick worst. When the time comes I'll have to try have someone salvage the cloth to redo/refresh them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor