CUTLASS Here's a fun article for y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Because they were great! And fairly reasonable in price. And GM had a better market share. Can't forget that little nugget. At the time, Japanese imports sucked. Absolutely SUCKED. Yeah, a few set up shop in Ohio, etc., but they already had the reputation of rust buckets. Little did the G-body buyer realize at the time, they too would fall prey to mother nature...

I think too, during those days, you could actually BUY a Cutlass base car with nothing on it if that's all you could afford, or spend to the moon on options/packages, etc., if your wallet could stand it. Meaning that they covered a wide spectrum of financial situations for people. Plus, being snazzy looking. :) Small enough to fit in any garage or parking space, and roomy enough for luggage and golf clubs and reasonable mileage and dependability. They fit a lot of situations for a "right-sized" car. Being that there were wagons and 4 doors as well as the sportier 2-doors, there was a seat for every azz and every size family without busting budgets.

Don't forget, they made a BUTT-TON of A/G-body cars from 78-88. Because people WANTED and could afford them.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I kinda laugh at Jalopnik articles from time to time. The authors are historically biased against domestic vehicles.

The author is pretty skeptical of G bodies in this case.

And then you read the comments and a vast majority basically say they were popular because they were better than everything else.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I read the article a couple days ago and stopped taking it seriously when he cherry picked a tan interior car, probably the lowest production color made aside from green and still maybe then, to describe sarcastically why someone would want one.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I didn't read it. I already lived it. The last thing I need is to listen to some punk azz "kid" who was what, was just getting his driver's license when I bought my last new 442?

Suck it, Jalopnik.

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Question, if the writer grew up around them why does he call the 2 doors a "coupé" imstead of a "coupe"? I'm guessing he's not from North America.

Reactions: 1 user

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
I didn't read it. I already lived it. The last thing I need is to listen to some punk azz "kid" who was what, was just getting his driver's license when I bought my last new 442?

Suck it, Jalopnik.
This! The author comes off as a ignorant…obviously didn’t live through the 80s…

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I think one of the things that folks like this guy don't know about these cars was the A/C. GM cars had the best A/C of all the cars built at the time.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Because they were great! And fairly reasonable in price. And GM had a better market share. Can't forget that little nugget. At the time, Japanese imports sucked. Absolutely SUCKED. Yeah, a few set up shop in Ohio, etc., but they already had the reputation of rust buckets. Little did the G-body buyer realize at the time, they too would fall prey to mother nature...

I think too, during those days, you could actually BUY a Cutlass base car with nothing on it if that's all you could afford, or spend to the moon on options/packages, etc., if your wallet could stand it. Meaning that they covered a wide spectrum of financial situations for people. Plus, being snazzy looking. :) Small enough to fit in any garage or parking space, and roomy enough for luggage and golf clubs and reasonable mileage and dependability. They fit a lot of situations for a "right-sized" car. Being that there were wagons and 4 doors as well as the sportier 2-doors, there was a seat for every azz and every size family without busting budgets.

Don't forget, they made a BUTT-TON of A/G-body cars from 78-88. Because people WANTED and could afford them.
Lets not forget the domestic alternatives to a G-Body:

The Dodge Diplomat/Chrysler 5th Avenue - I have personally owned one and my Pontiac feels top of the line in comparison. Mine came with a digital AM-only radio and the lean burn system.

The Ford LTD 2/Grenada/Mercury Monarch - Jesus, these are the ugliest cars ever. It's like they hired all the styling team from AMC and beat them until they made their magnum opus of ugly.

A Cutlass is downright swanky in comparison.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor