Here's why you'll never see a satellite dish on my roof

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
When we bought this place 6 years ago, there were 2, one for exede internet, and one for Dish network. Everything looked fine. Couple weeks ago, saw a dish hanging off the side of the house. Turns out that they mounted these (surprisingly heavy) dishes with 4" lag screws into the 5/8" plywood roof sheeting. Not a one was into a rafter.

Supposed to rain for the next 10 days, so guess how I'm spending my long weekend....

SAM_1925.JPG SAM_1926.JPG .

I got lucky, really. One sheet of sheathing, one bundle of shingles, and a roll of felt and some nails. Only damage other than the deck was one rafter tail was rotten, but I'll be able to splice it in at the bird's mouth and sister it just because.

Did I mention how much my almost 60 year old f*t*ss self loves working off of a 10 foot stepladder? Roofed many a house when i was younger, not my game at all anymore.

In hindsight. I should have made one of the conditions of the sale to have them removed and the roof reshingled in that area. But, we got a good deal, and I felt sorry for the seller, as it was his father's place who had recently passed from pancreatic cancer. I think he left closing with a check for under 12K on a 125K sale.

CHECK YOUR ROOF MOUNTED STUFF REGULARLY!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Thanks! Yep, got lucky. Really not ready to re-roof yet, and sure didn't want to try to find somebody to do a partial on a holiday weekend with weather forecast being what it is for us.

Sometimes people think I'm a procrastinator, but if it needs to be done RIGHT NOW, it'll happen. Most of the time I really like to review my options and do some research....so i can see where some might take that as procrastinating.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Former co worker of mine bought a brand new pickup and lived in an apartment downtown and parked behind the building.

Had the pickup for 2 weeks and was gone on vacation and came home to find the roof, hood, and windshield destroyed. Looked like a WWE wrestler body slammed the front half.

Turned out a satellite dish that was mounted to a chimney blew off in a storm and fell like 5 stores directly on his pickup.

Sounds like a (not fun) project.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Since we live in the country, cable TV wasn't available (still isn't) in our area. So it was either Dish or DTV. Went with DTV, but the dish was mounted on a POLE near the house. I didn't want the dish mounted on the house itself for the very reason you had to replace some roof. You can't just get any old pole, however. I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts and ordered up a straight 2" OD aluminized exhaust pipe. It's the exact size needed and puts the dish about 5 1/2 feet off the ground, which makes it super easy to tune if needed. No climbing on a roof top. I drilled a hole in the bottom across the pipe, put in a couple of longer lag bolts, then mounted the crap in cement. This way, the wind wouldn't turn the dish AND pole. The bolts would be the stopper. Unless it tore the cement out of the ground, the pole wasn't going to turn. I've checked the signal every now and again, but it holds up well.

I get the research part. It takes a little time. Work smarter, not harder.

Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sheeting on, rafter (truss) chord repaired. Taking a little break...it's HOT in the sun with 93% humidity!

Think I'm on the downhill side now.

Reactions: 4 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
My grandpa and dad were roofers. I did it for about 7 yrs. Almost every single roof mounted dish leaks. How much depends on who installed it and how steep the roof is. If they hit a rafter its by accident. I always advised the h/o to have the dish remounted on the side of the house or in the yard after we tore off and roofed their house. Its just a leak in waiting from the day they install it. They usually install it at the eves so all that water above it has a chance to seep in. Are you gonna mount it on a post in your yard? This is the best method imo. 69hurst method sounds like it'll hold up for some years. Atleast you were proactive instead of waiting for it to drop your ceiling, which is what most would do.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I can't stand the way those "techs" install their crap. They have no trouble punching holes in the side of the house so they can move onto the next job as fast as possible and the idiots you call to schedule with never warn you about that.

• Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Pre4tty common. Be glad you have 5/8 plywood instead of 1/2 inch or OSB

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Let's look at the bright side. Now you have the fuel for a nice memorial day bonfire.

No, no, I absolutely don't have experience burning that stuff from my own several square reroof project a couple weeks back...🤪

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor