Hesitation/Pop at 3/4 throttle, Buick 231

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Why I once suggested a website called "Feedback Forum" LOL. So many possibilities, so little time.

As long as I've been hassling with mine, I'm not exactly a wealth of wisdom here, but of course I can't resist a few thoughts anyway .... :mrgreen:

Sounds like one of two things: either not enough fuel getting to the cylinders, or not enough getting combusted once there. If not enough is getting combusted, the computer will think it's too lean, because uncombusted oxygen shows up at the O2 sensor -- but it may actually be too rich.

Your DualJet was rebuilt, right? And not a lot of miles on the rebuild. So it seems less likely to be anything in or on the DualJet itself .... unless the rebuild was not correctly done, which is not totally unheard of.

If actually too lean, fuel delivery. If not actually too lean, ignition system or mixture too rich. If fuel delivery, restriction or mixture too lean.

Other than that, EGR comes to mind, either the solenoid or the valve itself.

Don't know how likely each or any would be in your case.

I've recently been dealing with a TPS issue. I neglected to put Loctite on the TPS adjustment screw, which then slowly but surely unscrewed itself, so the computer thought the throttle was open more than it was. I then applied Loctite Purple (low strength). But it's still unscrewing. Apparently this confuses the computer which, unlike more modern computers, actually pays attention to the TPS. But your DualJet probably has the plug installed to hold the screw (I won't go there with the jokes).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I believe yours has a knock sensor (mine doesn't). If the knock sensor went off, the computer would retard the timing, which might cause that kind of behavior. Another one of the seemingly endless possibilities with this system that just occurred to me ....

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
And lest we forget, second timo22 on vacuum leak. With all those hoses and gadgets, it just wouldn't seem right without a vacuum leak or two now and then. But I think you had yours gone over pretty thoroughly to start ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor