hey guys door hinge question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachbumtroy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2012
ok just got my 1978 camino yesterday abd it has an 86 front end on it the first thing im doing is pulling off both doors to repair hinges,now which leads to my question..it has the typical roller thats worn out and wanted to know if gm or after makt has come up with a better design or replacements for them? i got a used set but they arent in much better shape than the old and just for clarification its not the pins thats causing the sag its the rollers,so have there been any improvements or tricks since 1978? which is the last time ive owned a gm product sorry to say lol, i just dont want to put on these hinges and have to go thru this again for awhile if possible. thnx in advance for any and all assistance. bb

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
One of the cheaper ways is to find a 4 door G body in the salvage yard. The hinges dont get as work out since the doors are much lighter than a 2 door G body.
There really hasnt been much improvement in design over the years.

beachbumtroy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2012
ok appreciate that info thats what i wnted to know if the was something better created or not...... now for the tricky part :) if mines a 1978 camino, what 4 door g bodies do i get the hinge from? and are u saying get the back door hinges cause of lack of use? thnx troy

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Get the front hinges, they are the same 2 door and 4 door cars. The 4 door wagons can be found up to 78-83 and the 4 door sedans can be found up to78-88. This applys to rear wheel drive Malibu's Regal's Cutlass's and some Bonnevilles. The front doors on these are about 20-30 lbs lighter than your Camino or other 2 door G bodys depending on options the car had.

beachbumtroy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2012
ok jeff thnx i wrote it all down...but curious if the front doors on these are lighter than mine wouldnt that make the hinges worse? as far as holding my door up? or r the hinges exactly the same? thnx troy

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
What Jeff aka 81Regal is saying is that since other gbodies doors are lighter the hinges would not have so much stress on them as are El Camino's doors hinges have. So they would more then likely be better then ares are. So more chance to get a better set of hinges that will support your door(S) better

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
exactly...

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I guess i'm a lucky one, cos my hinges show absolutely no wear at all. I guess the previous(original) owner was religious about keeping them lubed over the years. With that being said, do you think this kit from TDS(topdownsolutions) could be made to work on our cars?

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/Body-P ... (greasable)

I think at the most you might have to drill the four holes out larger in the upper hinge to accomodate the new bushing and pin. Then you would have greasable uppers when your done.

Just me thinking out loud.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Rollers don't cause sag. Bushings/pins cause sag. Rollers cause doors that won't stay open on an incline

BTW, our hinges are WAY better than the crap they use now on anything, trucks included.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Last I checked you could still get all (4) hinges new from GM. You can also get reproductions from OPGI. My hinges were so far gone that new bushings didn't help. I had to weld the bushing hole smaller and redrill. Seemed to work but I wasn't going to chance it so I just bought all new hinges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor