PONTIAC Hi, I don't own a G-Body, don't hurt me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lykoloo

n00b
Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
Hello, I don't have one of these cars. Hopefully that's okay. I have an '85 Pontiac Firebird TA, but very few people on the forum for third-gens seem to care about CCC tuning.

Where should I start looking for info? Any good threads?

Danke

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Lots of us have Firebirds and we have the busted knuckles to prove it. I'm guessing you have the smogger 305? Not much to tuning except keeping everything up to snuff. The computer is in charge but needs all of it's sensors working correctly to do that job. Don't listen to the "yank it all out" crowd. Unless you are fluent in engine tuning you will be best served keeping everything stock and working properly. There are a few really good Pontiac sites out there like Performance Years, and loads of Camaro sites, but again beware the advice to remove everthing.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Lykoloo

n00b
Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
It was a 305; but now it's got a goodwrench 350 crate engine in it now with all the parts from the 305 on it. Old engine lost compression and had tons of blow by. I was never one for yanking it all out, Just interested in tuning the spark curve to better suit modern fuel and minimize pinging. Probably not worth all the trouble vs getting a non-CCC dizzy, but it never hurts to learn about something.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You'd be surprised. I also have an 85 bird with the LG4 amongst the various toys, and I know others here have them too.

Is there an actual problem? Or just seeking more performance?

These cars aren't as advanced in the computer department as modern day ones. BUT, what they will DO is read a sensor measurement then give the correction for it.

AFAIK, the computer basically takes its readings and tried to adjust fuel to get around a 14.7:1 a/f ratio.

It does this by reading off the tps, and adjusting control till it hits one of the 2 stops. You may have had carb issues that were masked by the sick engine. The jets aren't optimal for a 350, especially if you added cam/mods to it, but should be generally functional.

But mainly, your computer is a dumb animal and doesn't "learn" much. It just reads a preprogrammed table to control things, and, isn't overwritten by 'tuning' like a modern engine. You could find someone around to burn a new chip. Hard to find reputable guys for that anymore IMO.

More likely check the tps, check your limit screws if you're pinging at the top end, and consider sensors with either carb rebuilt/rejetted based on what you actually see happening. Unless it's a wild 350 I'd think a properly working 305 setup should run things fine, and, and engine that sick may have had other issues in the carb/sensors that were masked

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oh, and for board searches to do reading, look for a monte carlo ss swap from 305 to 350. You've got a 700 series trans vs the 200 series in the monte, but engine wise you're doing basically what they did.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I had a yahoo group back in the day called CCC CarbHackers. Unfortunately, I think your year version of the ECM has the tuning variables (timing table) in a mask ROM that is not changeable. They also had some other stuff stored in a 1kx8 OTP PROM. The later ECMs moved to a UV EPROM that housed the timing and fueling tables along with everything else. I am well versed with the Olds versions, not so much on the Chevy variants (305 ECMs). I did disassembly (the EPROM code, that is) on the 1988 version of the Olds ECM and found the timing table which is based on throttle angle (TPS) and load (MAP). It would be easy to reprogram one of those UV EPROMs with new timing values. That's exactly what Hyperchip did in the 80s-90s for the ECMs that had UV erasable EPROMs. It may be possible to retrofit your setup to an ECM that has the UV EPROM...

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So if it's a 350 and the CCC stuff is working well I'd leave it alone. That was the hot secret deal back then- sneak in a 350 or 400 and let the CCC adjust. But if you want to get a non-CCC HEI and a regular non-CCC QuadraJet and start learning about tuning, then you have plenty of information to help. You just tune for 1979 or earlier specs which was before CCC came online. As for CCC I remember working on an '86 Monte SS that was shaking like crazy. I richened the idle mixture screws and it smoothed right out. That killed it for emissions testing but it was a Florida car so no problemo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Isn't the Monte SS carb actually a richer tune and I would the 190hp 305 the same? There is/was a much available ZZ chip available sbc 305 cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor