HID lights, I'm a true ricer now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Bought a set of HID headlamps for the '87. Just wanted to give them a try and see how they work out.

It actually seems to be a pretty well designed kit. Basically plug-n-play with all weather-pak connections, etc.

This is the place I bought them from http://www.ddmtuning.com

Cost for the 55w, 6000K bulbs, ballasts and wiring harness was $62.50.

So if I don't like them, I'm not out a whole lot.

Installed them in the '88 CSCB just to see how they would look when they're on my car. They are definitely brighter than what I was expecting. I had planned to use these as the dims but I think I'll move them to the high beam location and buy a set of 35w's for the dims. Otherwise I'll have people flashing me everywhere (and not in a good way lol).

Here's a few pictures, one of which is out over the hood from the driver's seat:

IMAG0052.jpg

These other's didn't come out very well. My cell phone had a hard time trying to take a picture of the lights when they were on:

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

They look more blue in the pictures than they do in person.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
NICE!! The pics make em look like 10,000k almost.

Yeah, I think it's just my phone. I noticed the other night I was taking a video of the gauges in my truck and they looked blue on my phone but they are actually a green color. I played around with a few settings but couldn't get it to turn out right.

Really clean. If you do the lo and high's, look into getting a Painless hi/lo wiring kit..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-30802/?rtype=10

Really easy to setup...

That kit's for running all the lights at once when the brights are on correct? Not sure I'll go that far considering these things have plenty of light now as it is.
I did get the wiring harness for these that basically pulls battery voltage directly from the back of the alternator. That should help with the lighting anyway.

Thanks,

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Yeah I was talking about running all 4 lights. But like you said, they put out plenty of light. The 55 watt setup in the highbeam spot is perfect... I have 35 watt in my Elco and its plenty...Lookin clean bruh.. :D

Elco Warren 8)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
So what kind of HP gain did you get?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Phoenyx said:
So what kind of HP gain did you get?

550HP if you figure I can now drive faster at night. ;)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Nice! 8)

Justink

Greasemonkey
Nov 28, 2010
Just wired a set up in buddies truck. Only problem is the lag when they warm up so going from high to low theres a bout a 5 second dead spot. We used a relay and hooked it so when his hi beams are on his low beams stay on, making it so there is always light. Relay cost about $14.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I've noticed that lag time so the relay idea isn't bad.

I tried installing them in the high beam location but they didn't work. I need to figure out why. Not sure if it's a wiring issue or a need a different bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor