High End Harbor Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I have an unhealthy relationship with Harbor Freight. I can waste hours in that store just window shopping. I kinda laughed when they first came out with their higher end brands, and to some degree I still do but nevertheless I wound up buying some of it. There were a lot of reviews when the stuff first came out saying "It'S mAdE bY sNaP On" or "iTs tHe sAmE JuNK iN a dIFfeReNt bOx". Now that these higher end lines have been out a few years I think most of us have determined both of those statements to be false. Here's my take on the tools I've got now that I've used them for a year or more, feel free to share your own experiences.

The Doyle pliers. I have the slip joints, the Knipex Cobra copies, and the precision pliers set. I like them all. I use the precision pliers for working on saws, carburetors, small stuff. They are really tight and have no wobble. The Knipex knockoffs are great too. They are functionally as good as the real thing. The slip joints are tight and the teeth are sharp. I like that they don't have those stupid oversized comfort grips either. Just basic, smooth dipped grips in a normal color.
63903_I.jpg
64562_W3.jpg
56748_W3.jpg

The Bremen locking pliers are also really good. Modern Irwin vise grips are trash as are Kobalts. I've stripped the jaws on both. I've have 2 pairs of Bremens and they are holding up very well.
63869_I.jpg
63871_I.jpg

The Quinn sockets are nice, I have 2 sets of the deep well sockets in 1/2" and 1/4" drive. They are 6 point, nice chrome, Cr-V, made in Taiwan, not China, no skip sizes, and the sized are stamped, not laser etched. The only issue I have with them is they are identical to the Pittsburgh sockets right next to them other than the stripe. So if the stripe matters to you, pay a few bucks more for the Quinns. Personally I like the stripe.
64230_I.jpg

I've got one of the Diablo Hybrid PVC Rubber air hoses and its been working fine for 2 years, maybe even a bit longer. I've got it hooked up with the Merlin Brass couplers and they have been good too. No leaks or issues.
56569_I_1.jpg
63557_I.jpg

I don't own any of the Icon stuff, not sure if I'm missing out or not. I've heard their flank drive wrenches are meh. I'm curious what the ratchets are like as some of the Pittsburgh Pro ones aren't bad.

Reactions: 5 users

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
I have the 3 ton yellow Daytona jack, the one snap on tried to sue over. I absolutely love that jack. It’s smooth rolling and very easy to be precise when lowering a load.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have the 3 ton yellow Daytona jack, the one snap on tried to sue over. I absolutely love that jack. It’s smooth rolling and very easy to be precise when lowering a load.
Best of all - it's yellow!

Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I replaced a Craftsman 3 ton that failed without warning with a 4 ton Daytona (Black) jack. The Daytona out shines the Craftsman in all but the lift pad needs to be larger.
I also purchased Harbor Freights "Warrior" buffing wheels to polish the outer rings on my Torque Thrust wheels. Far superior to the junk being sold by Eastwood and at 1/2 the price.
Just wish Harbor Freight sold buffing compounds in larger size bars.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have been slowly picking up the Icon stuff. Couldn't find real USA Craftsman metric 1/2" drive deep sockets or metric double boxed wrenches last year which kinda drove me to the Icon sets. Way better than the Pittsburgh ones.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Daytona jacks. I don't really need a jack, I have 2 that are more than adequate but I wouldn't mind replacing them with the Daytonas.

I have been slowly picking up the Icon stuff. Couldn't find real USA Craftsman metric 1/2" drive deep sockets or metric double boxed wrenches last year which kinda drove me to the Icon sets. Way better than the Pittsburgh ones.
I've given up on the majority of new Craftsman stuff. It just doesn't live up to the name. I still like the acetate handled screwdrivers but there are better ones out there. The sockets, pliers, ratchets, etc. seem to pretty much be comparable to Husky or Pittsburgh.

I've never bought double boxed wrenches but I absolutely love ratcheting combination wrenches, and I see Icon has some. I've had them in my hand a couple times but never pull the trigger on them.

Reactions: 1 user

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have two of the Icon ratchets. Both are smooth and work well. 90 tooth. I also have a couple of thee 72 tooth Pittsburgh ratchets. They work well, not par with the Icon or others I have but they work well.

There warranty policy is top notch. I bought impacts there back when they only used to label the case with the brand. Had two sockets that just started to where after years of abuse (not as well made as the current ones). Took them in and they said get a set for the shelf and we will swap the worn ones out in your set. Had another tool break and it too was swapped on the spot. Home Depot will not even do that with Husky tools unless they stock the identical item with the same part number. I had a set of pliers break and since they did not have one with the same color handles I was told to go to the Husky website.

Best deal I have found at Harbor Freight is the tool cabinets and carts. For the money they are the best I have found.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have found that the Carlyle pliers NAPA sells work extremely well. Biggest difference I have found with these is the pattern on the jaw allows them to get a really good grip. Also I like the covering they use on the handles verse the smooth covering on the Channel Lock brand.

Nov 4, 2012
I have found that the Carlyle pliers NAPA sells work extremely well. Biggest difference I have found with these is the pattern on the jaw allows them to get a really good grip. Also I like the covering they use on the handles verse the smooth covering on the Channel Lock brand.

Carlyle has always been NAPA's professional oriented line of tools. They are nice but you still pay for them. I would say a lot of this higher end Harbor Freight stuff is comparable to Carlyle.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I've only bought something from Hazard Fraught 3 times. Been disappointed every time. (fuel pressure gauge, ultrasonic cleaner, bearing puller kit)

Maybe the secret is to buy stuff that has no moving parts and material quality/hardness doesn't matter?

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor