High idle problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vega419

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2013
NW Ohio
I have a 83 Cutlass Supreme with a 307,in the morning when I warm it up it will idle normal but after about 5 mins when it's warmed up it will idle high and I have to tap the gas and then it will idle normal, my question is why does it do that and how to I fix that?

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
MOST electric chokes have a black round housing on the passenger side of the carb. You should notice 3 screws that hold the black housing, or face in place. Before adjusting, mark a reference line somehow, as to where it is now. Generally you rotate the housing or face clockwise to turn it down. CCW to raise the choke. From your discript, it sounds rite. A seemingly high idle is necessary for carbs. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor