High Idle Solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I know you guys will have the answer to this.
I modified the crap out of the Holley bracket to mount the high idle solenoid on my crate motor. I finally got it in the right place. Or so it seemed. While all this was being put together I also modified the bracket for the throttle cable and kickdown cable. Come to find out the bracket isnt going to work right either. Its bending the crap out of the throttle cable and its pulling on the piece that snaps into the bracket.
After looking at a ton of brackets from all different manufacturers it looks like the only one that "might" work with the Vortec manifold is a chrome one that picks up the rear carb stud. To be honest, Im not a fan of the design or the way it looks.
The other option is to use one of the long aluminum brackets that picks up the two studs on the carb. Im sure you guys know the type I mean. It would solve the cable issue. Plus where to put the springs. Only problem is Im pretty sure I'll have to get rid of the high idle solenoid.
Do I need it ? Thats the first big question. Second is should I delete that wire right from the plug at the AC harness ? Make it 3 wire instead of 4 ?

The other thing Im not sure about is the liquid line for the AC. The OEM is all aluminum as we all know. Ive been seeing cars with custom rubber lines in place of the aluminum. Any issues with doing that ? Im sure it would look a lot neater.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The other option is to use one of the long aluminum brackets that picks up the two studs on the carb. I'm sure you guys know the type I mean. It would solve the cable issue. Plus where to put the springs. Only problem is I'm pretty sure I'll have to get rid of the high idle solenoid.
These are my favorite style throttle brackets and they work perfectly, maybe you can somehow integrate a mount for the high idle solenoid and I assume you need one for AC?
1612735882204.png

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I initially planned on running an idle solenoid on my 355 SBC in my Regal when I installed the AC but it works fine without it.
I think we are just so used to the AC lugging a stock engine.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
These are my favorite style throttle brackets and they work perfectly, maybe you can somehow integrate a mount for the high idle solenoid and I assume you need one for AC?
View attachment 168163
I wanted to use one of those when I first started looking for accessories. That one almost looks like it would work with the solenoid. I think the only issue that Im going to have is the length of the studs. This was a major screw up for me. When I got the manifold back from the powdercoater I stuck the studs in for the carb. Totally forgot to take them out again. Didnt use anti seize. The studs are basically welded into the manifold. Since they were really long to begin with I cut them to fit and Im pretty sure theyre going to be too short.
Can that style bracket have the kickdown cable attached to it ?

As far as the solenoid, you guys really think it will be good without it ?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I wanted to use one of those when I first started looking for accessories. That one almost looks like it would work with the solenoid. I think the only issue that I'm going to have is the length of the studs. This was a major screw up for me. When I got the manifold back from the powder coater I stuck the studs in for the carb. Totally forgot to take them out again. Didn't use anti seize. The studs are basically welded into the manifold. Since they were really long to begin with I cut them to fit and I'm pretty sure they're going to be too short.
Can that style bracket have the kick down cable attached to it ?

i have seen that style bracket with the provisions for additional cable.
you might be ok without,maybe you'll have to find the happy medium with the idle adjustment with the a/c on/off.look @it this way if it's not working out you can always revisit the situation.you've got nothing to lose trying it without.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I wanted to use one of those when I first started looking for accessories. That one almost looks like it would work with the solenoid. I think the only issue that I'm going to have is the length of the studs. This was a major screw up for me. When I got the manifold back from the powdercoater I stuck the studs in for the carb. Totally forgot to take them out again. Didn't use anti seize. The studs are basically welded into the manifold. Since they were really long to begin with I cut them to fit and I'm pretty sure they're going to be too short.
Can that style bracket have the kickdown cable attached to it ?

You could try heating up the area around the base of the stud and use some Vise grips to work them loose and maybe spray a little penetrating oil in there after heating.
For carb studs I always use ARP and pick the length that works best so they would be longer on the side that has the throttle bracket.
They sell the kickdown bracket separately. I have the same set up on my Regal with the 200R4 and the trans bracket sits in front of the throttle cable mount on the bottom.
I would run your AC without the solenoid first if it doesn't work well then fabricate a mount at that point to run it.

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
You could try heating up the area around the base of the stud and use some Vise grips to work them loose and maybe spray a little penetrating oil in there after heating.
For carb studs I always use ARP and pick the length that works best so they would be longer on the side that has the throttle bracket.
They sell the kickdown bracket separately. I have the same set up on my Regal with the 200R4 and the trans bracket sits behind the throttle cable mount on the bottom.
I would run your AC without the solenoid first if it doesn't work well then fabricate a mount at that point to run it.
Do you think the heat would damage the powdercoating ?
I know what you mean about using ARP fasteners. I actually had a set of studs that I was going to use. The 406 in my coupe has all ARP.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I know what you mean about using ARP fasteners. I actually had a set of studs that I was going to use. The 406 in my coupe has all ARP.
yes,and if they're stainless there's an even better chance they're galled but you gotta see if it's worth trying it if the end result is broken parts etc etc..

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe try heating with propane or mapp gas just on the inside of the intake near the stud to test it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor