CUTLASS High idle wont kick down until shifted into gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypn0tic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
Just looking for some thoughts on a problem I have with my cutty. On the first start of the day it'll idle pretty high while I let her warm up for a bit. When I get in and get ready to drive, I notice it does not idle down at all until I throw it into gear, which in turn is beating the crap out of my trans. When I drive around and run errands, I can turn it off and on without any issues of high idle, until it sits for 6-8 hrs. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Choke adjustment?...or high idle adjustment? What carb are you running?

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
should be able to smack it off high idle with the pedal.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
With a stone overnight cold engine, unscrew both the hot idle (driver's side) and fast idle (under choke housing) screws all the way, but not to where they fall out. Open up the throttle a bit while holding up the fast idle lever and weight (silver/grey and green tangs) and screw in the fast idle screw until it starts to open the throttle. Then screw in the hot idle screw until about... a 1/16th of an inch or so BEFORE it touches the throttle arm tang. Start the car, tune the high idle (should be on the highest step of the fast idle cam) for whatever stock is. I think like 1800rpm for the first step, something similar. Play with it, see what it likes. Regardless, it should be at least 500rpm above warm idle in park. Once it gets hot and the choke coil unwinds, it will bring the weights down, and will knock it off the fast idle steps then it will be on the hot idle screw. You can do this manually (or should be able to) kick the idle down. If the engine is dead cold it will still idle a little high, due to the choke being on. Once it gets up to temp, tune in hot idle where you want it. Best as I can explain it without being there or having a carb to point at.

• Winner

Hypn0tic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
With a stone overnight cold engine, unscrew both the hot idle (driver's side) and fast idle (under choke housing) screws all the way, but not to where they fall out. Open up the throttle a bit while holding up the fast idle lever and weight (silver/grey and green tangs) and screw in the fast idle screw until it starts to open the throttle. Then screw in the hot idle screw until about... a 1/16th of an inch or so BEFORE it touches the throttle arm tang. Start the car, tune the high idle (should be on the highest step of the fast idle cam) for whatever stock is. I think like 1800rpm for the first step, something similar. Play with it, see what it likes. Regardless, it should be at least 500rpm above warm idle in park. Once it gets hot and the choke coil unwinds, it will bring the weights down, and will knock it off the fast idle steps then it will be on the hot idle screw. You can do this manually (or should be able to) kick the idle down. If the engine is dead cold it will still idle a little high, due to the choke being on. Once it gets up to temp, tune in hot idle where you want it. Best as I can explain it without being there or having a carb to point at.
I will give this a try. Thank you very much!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
np.
you don't need to crack the throttle open very much, just the teeniest bit, and watch it as you're turning the fast idle screw, you'll see it start to move.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

before you do anything I would get a carb cleaner and clean everything. The current settings on the carb worked when the adjustments were made so until you make sure everything is clean and nothing is binding or stuck I would not adjust anything

• Agree

Hypn0tic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2018
before you do anything I would get a carb cleaner and clean everything. The current settings on the carb worked when the adjustments were made so until you make sure everything is clean and nothing is binding or stuck I would not adjust anything
Yes that's the first thing that I would do before making the adjustment. Iam not certain that the carb had been previously adjusted the the old owners or not, since there is clear signs of hands being under the hood. Thanks for the comment. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor