High idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Ok folks. Got a question. My 86 SS runs really well but i have a concern. When i fire her up cold the choke comes on as it should. After a couple minutes of running it comes down depending on outside temp. Yesterday i took her for a spin. At first it would idle at 700 or so rpm. But after a half hour or so of driving i noticed at idle it was around 1100. And it wouldnt come off that. It ran great. Just a high idle. Why would it be fine for the 1st say 1/2 hour of driving and then all of a sudden jump up to 1100? I have changed all the vac hoses and the AC was not on.

Xcellr8r442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 27, 2019
Canada
Ok folks. Got a question. My 86 SS runs really well but i have a concern. When i fire her up cold the choke comes on as it should. After a couple minutes of running it comes down depending on outside temp. Yesterday i took her for a spin. At first it would idle at 700 or so rpm. But after a half hour or so of driving i noticed at idle it was around 1100. And it wouldnt come off that. It ran great. Just a high idle. Why would it be fine for the 1st say 1/2 hour of driving and then all of a sudden jump up to 1100? I have changed all the vac hoses and the AC was not on.
Could be bushings worn in primary shaft....if a quadrajet....make sure throttle is returning to idle position....stronger return spring will help temporarily...

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Could be a vacuum leak somewhere, such as carb mounting gasket, carb gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, worn throttle shaft, leaky brake booster, stuck PCV valve, leaky PCV gromet, leaky EGR valve, etc. Hoses are just the tip of the vacuum leak iceberg. You can make your own Teflon bushings to fix worn Qjet throttle shaft bores if they aren't worn too badly.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Choke may not be coming off of fast idle cam. Secondary throttle plate open.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Could be a vacuum leak somewhere, such as carb mounting gasket, carb gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, worn throttle shaft, leaky brake booster, stuck PCV valve, leaky PCV gromet, leaky EGR valve, etc. Hoses are just the tip of the vacuum leak iceberg. You can make your own Teflon bushings to fix worn Qjet throttle shaft bores if they aren't worn too badly.

When i had my shop i used Briggs and Stratton valve guides. Can get you number if you want

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
So i chkd the throttle shafts for play and there seems to be some play on both of them. Especially the primary throttle shaft. I guess im gonna have new bushings put in it. Anybody know of a reputable place out there that can do this? Hard to believe they have play in them when the car only has 22 thousand miles on it. Oh well. I hope that cures the issue. Everything else looks great.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So i chkd the throttle shafts for play and there seems to be some play on both of them. Especially the primary throttle shaft. I guess im gonna have new bushings put in it. Anybody know of a reputable place out there that can do this? Hard to believe they have play in them when the car only has 22 thousand miles on it. Oh well. I hope that cures the issue. Everything else looks great.

did you check this?..... :popcorn:

Choke may not be coming off of fast idle cam. Secondary throttle plate open.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
No i havent yet. I will check that next weekend. But it seems if the choke was not coming completely off i would think it would run like crap. Runs fine. Just a high idle.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
No i havent yet. I will check that next weekend. But it seems if the choke was not coming completely off i would think it would run like crap. Runs fine. Just a high idle.

he didn't say the choke wasn't coming off, he said the choke fast idle cam is sticking which is not unusual with a car that has been sitting for a while and a couple of shots of carb cleaner/lubricant can cure that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor