High Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowanky

n00b
Mar 7, 2021
Question: I have a 1983 Cutlass Supreme I just purchased. It’s idle so high that when I put it in drive, it takes off. Should I replace the carburetor or try adjusting the idle myself?

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Lets see if this link on a similar question helps.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Put a tach on it to see what the idle rpm is in drive. There are 3 idle speeds, fast idle while the engine is cold, curb idle when the engine is fully warmed up, and idle speed when the A/C is on. Cold idle is usually the fastest idle, curb idle is the lowest, and A/C idle speed is between the two.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Take the air cleaner off. Plug any ports that the hoses went to. Start the car. Put your finger in the linkage of the choke mechanism (behind the circular black thing on the passenger side of the car) and push it down. If that makes it idle lower your choke linkage is sticking or the element (black thing) has failed.

If that doesn't work you have a vacuum leak. Get some carb cleaner or brake cleaner and spray around the base of the carb and where little rubber lines are going. These cars are 33 years old at their newest so stuff is bound to have been messed with or rotted away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

gbodysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Check for a vacuum leak. If you don't have a gauge, remove the air cleaner and put your hand over the carburetor, sealing it. If it stalls, you're good. If the idle comes down, you have a leak. You can also try spraying around the carb and hoses with carb cleaner to find it

Reactions: 1 user

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Lets see if this link on a similar question helps.

If you have the Quadrajet carb the high idle screw is located under the vacuum pot,remove the pot and you will see the high idle screw

Reactions: 2 users

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
I have used WD-30 to spray for vacuum leaks ( and as starting fluid ) Works just as good as the more flammable sprays.. just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor