CUTLASS Highbeams not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylec345

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2019
My high beams arent working on my 85 cutlass and ive had my turn signal switch replaced recently and after that the highbeams have stopped working when i hit the highbeam switch the main headlights flick but both high beams do not come on i checked the bulbs and they are good any suggestions are appreciated!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did they work before the turn signal witch was changed out? The dimmer switch hooked up electrically. Usually the switch itself (mounted on the column) doesn't have to be messed with during a turn signal switch change out since the turn signal switch is at the top of the column, but the actuator part is in there and it can be tricky to get back into place. That's the problem child area I'd look to.

Looks something like this below. Has a weird shaped plug that goes into it, and an actuator that operates it from the pivot on the wiper stalk. Listing covers pretty much a wide range of cars, but definitely fits your 85 as it fits all G-body columns if you need to get a new switch. I still think it's the actuator in the pivot.

s-l400.jpg

If your actuator up in the column needs replacing, it's GM p/n 7827028:

s-l640.jpg

Sometimes when reassembling crap on the top end, the actuator rod and actuator above don't meet up properly or things slip out of place and that's not good. Not saying that's the case, but if you're not paying attention, things could get hosed up.

Check to see if the switch operates, you should be able to see if the actuator rod is actually operating the switch. Reference pic below.

steering_column_79d113fdbd789ed4ca5a3fad5bcb13f316487d86.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Kylec345

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2019
Did they work before the turn signal witch was changed out? The dimmer switch hooked up electrically. Usually the switch itself (mounted on the column) doesn't have to be messed with during a turn signal switch change out since the turn signal switch is at the top of the column, but the actuator part is in there and it can be tricky to get back into place. That's the problem child area I'd look to.

Looks something like this below. Has a weird shaped plug that goes into it, and an actuator that operates it from the pivot on the wiper stalk. Listing covers pretty much a wide range of cars, but definitely fits your 85 as it fits all G-body columns if you need to get a new switch. I still think it's the actuator in the pivot.

s-l400.jpg

If your actuator up in the column needs replacing, it's GM p/n 7827028:

s-l640.jpg

Sometimes when reassembling crap on the top end, the actuator rod and actuator above don't meet up properly or things slip out of place and that's not good. Not saying that's the case, but if you're not paying attention, things could get hosed up.

Check to see if the switch operates, you should be able to see if the actuator rod is actually operating the switch. Reference pic below.

steering_column_79d113fdbd789ed4ca5a3fad5bcb13f316487d86.jpg
They did work before the turn signal switch was replaced and when you say dimmer switch are you referring to the guage cluster dinmer if so mines not on the coulum

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You can scroll through this repair to a tilt column in a GM truck which shows the actuator end by the turn signal switch pivot (personally I think he uses way too much grease, but to each their own). There's the top end of the bent actuator rod that sits in a slight groove in the actuator plastic piece. Many times during reassembly, this alignment isn't maintained and the rod slips out of position.

Again, not saying this is your problem. Just something to consider.

Also, review this video by oldsofb . It's very good. Gives you an idea that it isn't real simple if you've never done one before. (around 20 minute and 37 minute marks he discusses the actuator disassembly and reassembly respectively). But watch the whole thing, it's educational!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They did work before the turn signal switch was replaced and when you say dimmer switch are you referring to the guage cluster dinmer if so mines not on the coulum
No. I'm talking about the headlight high beam dimmer switch. All on the column.

Kylec345

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2019
You can scroll through this repair to a tilt column in a GM truck which shows the actuator end by the turn signal switch pivot (personally I think he uses way too much grease, but to each their own). There's the top end of the bent actuator rod that sits in a slight groove in the actuator plastic piece. Many times during reassembly, this alignment isn't maintained and the rod slips out of position.

Again, not saying this is your problem. Just something to consider.

Also, review this video by oldsofb . It's very good. Gives you an idea that it isn't real simple if you've never done one before. (around 20 minute and 37 minute marks he discusses the actuator disassembly and reassembly respectively). But watch the whole thing, it's educational!

Thanks for this information i hope that this solves my problem im also not afraid to tinker with things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor