Holley 4160 rebuild. What's this plastic piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
So Im working on cleaning/ rebuilding my holley 4160 carb this morning, a first for me. Its part number 3310-10. On the metering block there's a plastic piece at the top that I can't find much info about. I took it off when cleaning the metering block and it was a very snug press fit. When I went to put it back together It fell right on. I noticed it was cracked by one of the holes. Can I use this like it is? What is this thing called, what does it do and can I get just a new one? My rebuild kit doesnt have one with. And the meterimg block had a number 10569 in it if thats needed also.

Attachments

• DSC_3582.JPG
    DSC_3582.JPG
    916.1 KB · Views: 2,138

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm not having any luck finding a new one online.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Thanks for finding that. The gasket for the metering block go over the 2 tabs also so I would think the little crack in the plastic wont affect anything. I guess I will find out

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think the last kit I got, that was a white funnel looking deal. But, it is a vent.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The older Holley's used the style vent that uses two holes on the metering block these were made of brass and then later they used plastic and the metering bowl gasket is what holds it securely in place.

images

The newer style slides into rectangular vent opening and is typically pinned in to secure it but I do believe they have a clip in style also.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
Thanks for the info guys. I got the carb all back together and I think everythings correct. Only issue I had is I broke the plastic tab on the quick change secondary cap when trying to hook my manual choke cable back up. I got frustrated and decided that was a good stopping point for today. This week or next weekend I'll get everything buttoned up and try starting the car and see how I did.

WisconsinCutlass

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2014
I got everything hooked back up today and tried starting the car. It started idled for about 5seconds and dies I started looking and noticed that my accel pump doesn't return after pressing the gas. Not sure if thats the correct term for it. Basically i get one pump squirt and thats it. So I'm going to look at that but that shouldnt affect it staying idling? I'm confused that it starts idles for 5 seconds or so then dies. It doesnt seem to be idling rough when it does idle and turn the choke on or off doesnt make a difference. When it starts dying and press the gas that doesnt do anything either. What else should I look for when I have the carb off again? The only other thing I did to the car was set the valve lash on the passanger side of the motor. would this affect anything?

Edit: Just went back to the car and the accel pump is hard again. Is it normal for it to take that long that long to refill?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
It started idled for about 5seconds and dies I started looking and noticed that my accel pump doesn't return after pressing the gas
Are you sure you put the spring back under the accelerator pump diaphragm?

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor