Holley EFI on rebuilt engine - Do I have to startup with carb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Hey guys, I had a blown head gasket and ended up rebuilding most of the 350 that is in my '86 el camino. I also picked up a holley sniper EFI kit to install with the fresh engine.

My question is, can I startup the engine directly with the holley unit? or do you guys think I'll gave to bolt the carb on to get the timing set perfect first?

If anyone has had similar experience with this I'd love to hear their approach.

Thanks!

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I've always started with a known good carb that has been run on the engine before or one similar. That way, you KNOW it's not gonna be a fuel delivery/metering problem if you have issues. Once you get it sorted with the carb, then switch to the EFI and you will know that any issues are with the EFI install, nothing else. Minimize the variables in any given situation...

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Did you do rings, pistons, bore/hone the block? If so I would start it with a carb merely so you don't ruin your O2 sensor with oil. Otherwise, use the efi.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor