Holley LS Swap Oil Pan Block Off Plate ??

Shinobi68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2023
Over the weekend I installed the 302-2 onto the Vette 5.7 LS1. Very easy had to trim the windage tray down to 14.25" and notch the rear of the tray in one location. Got to the part of installing the block off plate and was just curious why I wouldnt use the one from the OEM pan. The OEM pan has a Oil Temp Sensor/Block, is there any reason not to use the OEM block with sensor and just hook up the harness to it? Just curious if I'm missing something other than the G body not having an Oil Temp sensor gauge, so no need for a sensor?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
No reason why you can't reuse the pickup/vette pan cooler bypass plate.

The reason I think Holley includes it is because not all LS engines came with the plate to rob off or even had it as an option. I'm not sure lm4 5.3's in Envoy/TBSS even had the provisions for the plate, some 3/4 ton 6.0 pickups got a factory installed oil cooler that bolts onto that boss, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

Shinobi68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2023
No reason why you can't reuse the pickup/vette pan cooler bypass plate.

The reason I think Holley includes it is because not all LS engines came with the plate to rob off or even had it as an option. I'm not sure lm4 5.3's in Envoy/TBSS even had the provisions for the plate, some 3/4 ton 6.0 pickups got a factory installed oil cooler that bolts onto that boss, etc.
Appreciate the response. I wasn't aware that the LSx family of engines were different in that regard, just figured that all of the models plumbed that location for the temp sensor. I'm going to use my OEM so that I have something to plug the connector from the harness too. :)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The factory one works fabulously for an oil supply port for a turbo, or two. I have only
One motor that came with a cooler - all of the others have a factory block off. It’s good if Holley, imo, that they supply a clean new one as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Shinobi68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2023
The factory one works fabulously for an oil supply port for a turbo, or two. I have only
One motor that came with a cooler - all of the others have a factory block off. It’s good if Holley, imo, that they supply a clean new one as well.
Right....here is a pic from 2004 of the temp sensor plumbed that I made for my Twin Turbo build on my 01 Z06. I used it for awhile until I switched over to an LPE oil cooler circuit. Just in case anybody that is doing a search was curious.

Attachments

• DCP00867.JPG
    DCP00867.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DCP00871.JPG
    DCP00871.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Appreciate the response. I wasn't aware that the LSx family of engines were different in that regard, just figured that all of the models plumbed that location for the temp sensor. I'm going to use my OEM so that I have something to plug the connector from the harness too. :)

Yep! This is the hose cooler kit 3/4 & 1 ton stuff gets. My 00 2500 lq4 in my Grand Prix came with this hose kit and I had to steal the cooler bypass plate that I stole off a 03ish 5.3 as the engine didn't come with one. I re-used that same plate on the holley 302-2 oil pan when I went from the pickup pan to the swap pan.

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor