Holley pan issue

T

Tony1968

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2018
Building a 370 with a lot of Holley swap stuff. Put holley pan on finally and was turning engine over by hand and it stopped. Went back the other way and same thing. Uh oh. Pulled the pan off and found that #2 rod bolt was hitting pan. Ugggg. The pan has a cast in bulge right in this location but it was just a little off. Great. Took a little off the pan with a grinder but it wasn't enough and didn't want to go too deep. Had to grind down the offending bolt head. Nothing like having to make a bunch of metal bits on an engine I have taken so much effort in keeping clean. Properly covered engine with large garbage bag except for the one bolt and did the deed. All good now. One thing that really aggravated me is the large "China" insignia inside the pan. Come on Holley ! Had I known this I would not have used it.

Attachments

pontiacgp

pontiacgp

Canadian Prime Minister
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would replace that bolt, hopefully you can remove it with the torx that you removed and get a pan that fits. Grinding off rotating parts could lead to a vibration and loss strength of the bolt.

Northernregal

Northernregal

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer AB
Known issue with aftermarket rod bolts. Was the interference with the pan gasket in place? What pan is it?

motorheadmike

motorheadmike

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 18, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Yeah, don't try and lay blame on Holley for your poor planning. Being cast/machined in China had nothing to do with your 'Merican rod bolt not fitting their pan. I would have ground a hole through the pan and had it welded up before even looking at the rod bolt with a grinder.

And if you think that was bad - you should see the port job I gave my Holley Midrise intake and 302-3 pan. This stuff just needs work - plain and simple.

T

Tony1968

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2018
I would replace that bolt, hopefully you can remove it with the torx that you removed and get a pan that fits. Grinding off rotating parts could lead to a vibration and loss strength of the bolt.

T

Tony1968

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2018
Screwed up that quote
Back in the day shaving a part was pretty common. Never hurt anything

T

Tony1968

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2018
T

Tony1968

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2018
Yeah, don't try and lay blame on Holley for your poor planning. Being cast/machined in China had nothing to do with your 'Merican rod bolt not fitting their pan. I would have ground a hole through the pan and had it welded up before even looking at the rod bolt with a grinder.

And if you think that was bad - you should see the port job I gave my Holley Midrise intake and 302-3 pan. This stuff just needs work - plain and simple.
Not blaming Holley other than the china biz.
Agreed. Always needs a tweek or two

T

Tony1968

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2018
It's the 302 pan btw. Just a heads up to those who may not know. Don't just bolt it together and think it's ok

Northernregal

Northernregal

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer AB
You must have a 302-2. The 302-3 is a little bigger and will handle a 4.0” stroke. A little more room.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Northernregal G-Body LS Swap 4
blueballin G-Body LS Swap 2
G G-Body LS Swap 0
X G-Body LS Swap 3