Holley pan issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Building a 370 with a lot of Holley swap stuff. Put holley pan on finally and was turning engine over by hand and it stopped. Went back the other way and same thing. Uh oh. Pulled the pan off and found that #2 rod bolt was hitting pan. Ugggg. The pan has a cast in bulge right in this location but it was just a little off. Great. Took a little off the pan with a grinder but it wasn't enough and didn't want to go too deep. Had to grind down the offending bolt head. Nothing like having to make a bunch of metal bits on an engine I have taken so much effort in keeping clean. Properly covered engine with large garbage bag except for the one bolt and did the deed. All good now. One thing that really aggravated me is the large "China" insignia inside the pan. Come on Holley ! Had I known this I would not have used it.

Attachments

• 20181013_134729.jpg
    20181013_134729.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 201
  • 20181013_134720.jpg
    20181013_134720.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would replace that bolt, hopefully you can remove it with the torx that you removed and get a pan that fits. Grinding off rotating parts could lead to a vibration and loss strength of the bolt.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah, don't try and lay blame on Holley for your poor planning. Being cast/machined in China had nothing to do with your 'Merican rod bolt not fitting their pan. I would have ground a hole through the pan and had it welded up before even looking at the rod bolt with a grinder.

And if you think that was bad - you should see the port job I gave my Holley Midrise intake and 302-3 pan. This stuff just needs work - plain and simple.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Screwed up that quote
Back in the day shaving a part was pretty common. Never hurt anything

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Yeah, don't try and lay blame on Holley for your poor planning. Being cast/machined in China had nothing to do with your 'Merican rod bolt not fitting their pan. I would have ground a hole through the pan and had it welded up before even looking at the rod bolt with a grinder.

And if you think that was bad - you should see the port job I gave my Holley Midrise intake and 302-3 pan. This stuff just needs work - plain and simple.
Not blaming Holley other than the china biz.
Agreed. Always needs a tweek or two

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
It's the 302 pan btw. Just a heads up to those who may not know. Don't just bolt it together and think it's ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor