holley vs q-jet

which do you think is the best overall carb?

• q-jet

Votes: 126 55.8%
  • holley

Votes: 71 31.4%
  • edelbrock

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • demon/barry grant

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • carter

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
*unless we're talking all out drag racing.. But then again. There are better carbs for that than the holley we are talking about here!

D

DanglingFury

Dude, that's a dangerous taunt on here. I'm a Holley fan too, but most of the guys on here like the factory correct Q Jets. I'd pick your battles carefully my friend. Just givin' you a heads up...
My main reason for making that post was to gauge people's reactions. I'm certainly not trying to get in a knockdown drag out internet war with anyone. The main thing that bothers me about the whole world of carburetors is the "slap it on and go" mentality. If you know anything about a carburetor, no matter what kind it is.. You would be a fool to expect to bolt any carburetor on an engine and have it work flawlessly without some kind of adjustment.

Reactions: 1 user
D

DanglingFury

There is something better, Anything from Quick Fuel. They include features on their carbs that Holley could but doesn't.
You're missing the point, here. Quick fuel carburetors are essentially a Holley Carburetor. Basic form and function are exactly the same. They use power valves and metering blocks, like any Holley. Quickfuel simply offers more "bells and whistles" for more specific applications. Which features are you referring to that quickfuel offers and holley doesn't?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I, as well as others got your point. You were fishing, I really don't care what you were fishing for...
You asked if anyone thought there was something better than Holley and I just pointed out that YES there is and it happens to be a near identical design. How can Holley be the best hands down if they are inferior to other companies that are using their design? And we haven't even gotten to Barry Grant...
Never said offer... I said include, more specifically "they could but don't". But I'll be your huckleberry. Secondary metering plates with replaceable jets for single feed carbs, to my knowledge Holley does not offer one. Quick Fuel not only offers one they include it in their 4160 style carbs. While the Holley and Quick fuel are of the same pattern they are miles apart in design features and adjustability. And when I say adjustability I'm not talking about the Holley method of drilling either. Holley it seems wants to either nickle and dime you to death with additional parts or up sell you to a much more expensive carb with more features than you want. Common business practice, but that leaves the door open for others to fill the large gaps with similar products. And I really don't count an adjustable secondary metering plate as "bells and whistles". But I do count a plate that has to be drilled as primitive.
Features you see, make or break a carbs usefulness as well as potential. If the carb doesn't come with the necessary features to adjust it to thew users engine then it's really not a great carb.

And just an FYI if you buy a polished item from Holley, it's only half *ss polished.

Last edited:
D

DanglingFury

I, as well as others got your point. You were fishing, I really don't care what you were fishing for...
You asked if anyone thought there was something better than Holley and I just pointed out that YES there is and it happens to be a near identical design. How can Holley be the best hands down if they are inferior to other companies that are using their design? And we haven't even gotten to Barry Grant...
Never said offer... I said include, more specifically "they could but don't". But I'll be your huckleberry. Secondary metering plates with replaceable jets for single feed carbs, to my knowledge Holley does not offer one. Quick Fuel not only offers one they include it in their 4160 style carbs. While the Holley and Quick fuel are of the same pattern they are miles apart in design features and adjustability. And when I say adjustability I'm not talking about the Holley method of drilling either. Holley it seems wants to either nickle and dime you to death with additional parts or up sell you to a much more expensive carb with more features than you want. Common business practice, but that leaves the door open for others to fill the large gaps with similar products. And I really don't count an adjustable secondary metering plate as "bells and whistles". But I do count a plate that has to be drilled as primitive.
Features you see, make or break a carbs usefulness as well as potential. If the carb doesn't come with the necessary features to adjust it to thew users engine then it's really not a great carb.

And just an FYI if you buy a polished item from Holley, it's only half *ss polished.

You're certainly correct about Quickfuel 4160 carbs having adjustable metering plates. Personally, I don't really see a whole lot of use in that. The 4160's that Holley makes aren't meant for someone that wants to tune. They use fixed metering plates to keep costs down. I'm not about to argue that Quickfuel doesn't make a good product. They make excellent carburetors. As far as Barry Grant goes.. well, Holley owns Demon and manufacturers them in the same facility. I really don't see any advantage of a Demon carburetor over a Holley. (Did I mention Holley owns Quickfuel now, too?). I consider Quickfuel and Barry Grant carburetors to be Holleys. I'm fishing for Carter/AFB/Edelbrock/Q-jet VS. Holley 4150/4160.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
You as a Holley tech rep are saying the 4160's secondary fuel metering needs no adjustment? From a V6 through a 350 they all require the same setup? Then in that case my 4160 was junk. To keep costs down? Give us specs, features and pricing for a 4160 carb 0-80457S and a Slayer carb SL-600-VS .Difference in price is much much less than the cost of the QF plate.

D

DanglingFury

You as a Holley tech rep are saying the 4160's secondary fuel metering needs no adjustment? From a V6 through a 350 they all require the same setup? Then in that case my 4160 was junk. To keep costs down? Give us specs, features and pricing for a 4160 carb 0-80457S and a Slayer carb SL-600-VS .Difference in price is much much less than the cost of the QF plate.
If you're running a 4160 on a V6 you're probably better off to go with a 390 CFM 0-8007 carb rather than a 600 CFM 0-80457S. I'm not saying secondary fuel metering needs no adjustment. It is unlikely that most people with that kind of setup are going to want or need to adjust fuel metering in the secondaries. For those very few who wish to adjust that, we offer different metering plates.

I'm not arguing that Holley is better than Quickfuel or even the other way around. A Quickfuel IS a Holley. What I am interested in is metering BLOCK carburetors VS metering ROD carburetors.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
You dig up somebodys poll thread that has seen no action in 7 months with a "bring it on" statement instead of just starting a thread.
Then you say your reason was to "gauge peoples reaction" on somebody elses thread. Reaction to what?
Then, when people respond you say "your missing the point." What is your point?
Then you say "what I am interested in is metering BLOCK carburetors VS metering ROD carburetors." What does this mean exactly?
Do you need help starting a thread with a poll in it or something? Are you trying to promote something specific?
Or are you just bursting at the seams to tell us how great Holley carbs are?

Because at this point, you like nothing more than a Holley Performance Products Cheerleader.

IMHO

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I had my say. But from here out you won't be talking to me. After experiencing your attitude and then to see you are supposed to be a Holley Tech Rep, I put you on the ignore list. I really don't feel like debating with a salesman.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had my say. But from here out you won't be talking to me. After experiencing your attitude and then to see you are supposed to be a Holley Tech Rep, I put you on the ignore list. I really don't feel like debating with a salesman.

I agree. Although I like Holley products, that wasn't a real smart move on your part as a representative of the company. Instead of gaining future Holley customers, you've succeeded in pissing off potential consumers and actually did the company a disservice in the process. It's not what you said, but how you went about it.
Hopefully you're man enough to admit you made a mistake and will learn from it. An apology to the members you offended wouldn't hurt either.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor