Holly linkage/Stock throttle bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
Im looking for some pointers on how i should connect the throttle cable and kickdown. It seems like i can use the stock bracket.. if i can what holes should be used on the carb linkage.

second question, My old trans had a vacuum line running from the intake to the rear on the trans, my new trans doesnt have the vacuum diaphragm?

thank you for any tips or pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN2119.JPG
    DSCN2119.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 1,814
  • DSCN2120.JPG
    DSCN2120.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 479
  • DSCN2121.JPG
    DSCN2121.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 552

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
What was your old trans and what is your new one? A TH350 or TH200 has a vacuum modulator to control shifts. A 700R4 or 200-4R both use a cable to control shifts and dont use vacuum. The adjustment of that cable is critical on those trannies. As far as how to hook up the throttle cable to the Holley, I'm not sure but I would probably try to use the highest of those upper holes to improve mechanical advantage. My car had a holley on it and I may have a picture of it but not on this phone. I can tell you that the throttle felt really firm to me. It took too much effort to push the gas pedal for my liking so how you set it up is important.

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
i took some quick pictures its raining ill get better pictures and find the casting numbers when the rain stops. first two are the old trans. the second came out of a 79 monte

Attachments

• DSCN2122.JPG
    DSCN2122.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCN2123.JPG
    DSCN2123.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN2124.JPG
    DSCN2124.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 345
  • DSCN2125.JPG
    DSCN2125.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN2112.JPG
    DSCN2112.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN2126.JPG
    DSCN2126.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 288

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
What was your old trans and what is your new one? A TH350 or TH200 has a vacuum modulator to control shifts. A 700R4 or 200-4R both use a cable to control shifts and dont use vacuum. The adjustment of that cable is critical on those trannies. As far as how to hook up the throttle cable to the Holley, I'm not sure but I would probably try to use the highest of those upper holes to improve mechanical advantage. My car had a holley on it and I may have a picture of it but not on this phone. I can tell you that the throttle felt really firm to me. It took too much effort to push the gas pedal for my liking so how you set it up is important.
Th200c does NOT have a a modulator, it uses a TV cable like the 200r4 and 700r4. Old transmission seems to be a Th350 and the new one is one that needs a TV cable. How many bolts are on the pan, and does it look like the state of Nevada? Or what shape is it?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Th200c does NOT have a a modulator, it uses a TV cable like the 200r4 and 700r4. Old transmission seems to be a Th350 and the new one is one that needs a TV cable. How many bolts are on the pan, and does it look like the state of Nevada? Or what shape is it?
Shame on me. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Since your transmission seems to not have a provision for a vacuum modulator, it seems to be it is either a TH200 or it could be a TH200r4 that need a TV cable with a different end on it unless you modify the kickdown cable you have.

A TV cable has THIS type of end that has a different purpose than a kickdown cable. TV stands for Throttle Valve, and the shifting is ENTIRELY dependant on the position of the throttle hence why there is no slot in the cable end itself. The slot on the linkage is to get the proper cable geometry. if you have it wrong, you WILL burn up your transmission. A kickdown cable only needs to "kickdown" at anywhere from half-full throttle, depending on how you want it setup. You can use your old bracket, but holley sells all kinds of trick and shiney brackets that have the cables in a better location than stock for under 50$.
p159316_image_large.jpg

• Informative

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL

The new trans has 11 bolts and looks like nevada . it says METRIC Hyrdo-matic gm motor division, on the pan itself. in the morning ill put her on stands and really get a good look. i got soaked crawling under there to count the bolts!

SUBLIME80BU

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2016
303LOCAL
Since your transmission seems to not have a provision for a vacuum modulator, it seems to be it is either a TH200 or it could be a TH200r4 that need a TV cable with a different end on it unless you modify the kickdown cable you have.

A TV cable has THIS type of end that has a different purpose than a kickdown cable. TV stands for Throttle Valve, and the shifting is ENTIRELY dependant on the position of the throttle hence why there is no slot in the cable end itself. The slot on the linkage is to get the proper cable geometry. if you have it wrong, you WILL burn up your transmission. A kickdown cable only needs to "kickdown" at anywhere from half-full throttle, depending on how you want it setup. You can use your old bracket, but holley sells all kinds of trick and shiney brackets that have the cables in a better location than stock for under 50$.
View attachment 53671

the TV cable was already bolted to the trans when i got it, the cooling lines and torque converter as well. no inspection pan. i guessing this TV cable is for a q-jet?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yep, that's a Th200c alright. The "Metric" transmission. Uses all metric fasteners. Kind of a crap transmission, but if it works it works. I'd just use it for a while and either have your old transmission gone through or get a new TH350. sorry to tell you, but a Metric trans will not last long behind any V8. Mine held up through numerous drive to reverse shifts and neutral drops and kept on chuggin but that was with a V6, not enough power to hurt itself. All you need for this transmission to work is to have a line like the one in the picture and hook it to a nub on the carb. And hook the cooler lines up. They are reversed from the order on the TH350. Bottom one on the TH350 goes to the top hole on the trans and radiator and top one goes to the bottom. will probably have to rebend them just be careful. Make sure the cable is straight and not slanted up or down. Then look around online how to adjust one. There are a few videos on how and if you have a shop manual it should tell you. This transmission does not need any source of vacuum. There are no carb specific TV cables, just that one. If for some reason yours wont work, holley sells the little nubs that the cable clips onto on the carb linkage.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor