Home made center console (Custom)

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
has anyone here made one out of fiber glass im thinking of making one but idk how to start it up any help pics also i have never woprked with fiber glass heard it iches tho lol

michael_l_matthews

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2011
Houston TX

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
try finding qa center console out a 3edgen fbody camaro/firebird/trans am iv seen a few of them throwin in gbodys in i think thay look grate and thay line right up with the dash almost perfect

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
to be honest alot of people dont really actually glas the part the make (although I do, when I do a part)..

in a sense, you would do your frame work, wrap and staple fleece to it (like a blanket)... mix you resin right! this is the most important part to help prevent cracking and to help with proper curing! carefully apply the resin, when it hardens, flip the console upside down and use fiberglas to strengthen the top of the console, glassing from underneath, makes it easier to keep a smooth shape on the top, makes for less "body work" if you want to paint it...

its pretty simple, but to do it right and come out with a great finished product, take your time and practice, if the first one doesnt come out the way you want it to, then start all over and do it again, until it does...

I have made all kind of stuff and done it right... ill see if I can dig up a few pictures of some stuff...

speaker pods for lowers in a harley davidson
100_8068.jpg

100_8071.jpg

100_8070.jpg

end result
bikepix101.jpg

bikepix107.jpg

bikepix110.jpg

0419091602a.jpg

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
those were easy for me, and very nicely done, not as easy for others, and a console is much easier... trying to find pics of some frame work for example, I may even be making me a center console or two, in near future, if I dont like how the first one come out, and most like the stuff I come up with for myself, maybe Ill do a how to on that...

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
instead of fleece, because it is thicker and this was going on a harley that needed paint matched, i used a tshirt
0725091030b.jpg

I carefully glased the top, because I laid the foundation using glas and didnt want to cut that out to glas from underneath.

it was nec to use glas on this piece because other people that have made these, theirs crack, the one i have done for myself or friends, have not cracked or lost integrity!

the plastic ring in the picture, i wanted the pod to be perfectly formed to the speaker, unlike the other set i made, fiberglas will not bond to the peice, so i used the actual ring for the speaker, mounted it to wood, then glassed it all in, the last step is duraglas filler, and alot of sanding, for this peice, but your typical console will not require all of this, unless, you want to do a sub enclosure

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
in the pic I made the pod too short, when I mocked it back up to the bike, i needed to add a piece to make it look more like it belonged their, so I threw it back in the lower and glassed another foundation for the add on piece...

0725091030.jpg

0731091626.jpg

0731091724a.jpg

0731091724.jpg

0731091738c.jpg

0731091819.jpg

0731091851.jpg

re formed shirt, resin, then duraglass to smooth it all back out, the painter took it from there

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
hope that helps, it took me a little to figure out how I would tackle this and make it better than what everyone else puts together, I didnt even get paid for those two bikes (****ing punks :rofl: ) all the stuff i do is home grown and self taught, using internet to learn from others mistakes, ive been doing this kind of stuff for years and it is not a business its always been a hobby... you can do alot if you put your mind to it

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
I bought a custom made console for a 67 fastback off ebay.
I then modified it by adding power window, door lock switches, cupholders etc..
If I cut the front part off, it fits perfect in the Grand Prix.
Here's a picture:
602491_103_full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor