Home made Ram air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Hey im just looking for some info about a home made ram air. who has a setup they can share mabey on a 231 engine? i hear it can gain you some extra MPG and mabey a few ponies my engine bay right now seems like it wouldnt fit the pipes ? what would i need to move ?

Attachments

• Engine Cleaned.jpg
    Engine Cleaned.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 1,294

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Build your self a dual snorkel air cleaner set up. Get another air cleaner base, remove the snorkel . Cut a hole in your air cleaner base, Screw the second snorkel to your air cleaner. Go to the parts store and buy two air cleaner snorkel hoses kits, get enough so both sides can reach the back of the grill. Run the hose on each side of the radiator to the grill.

Doug
81motor4-1.jpg

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I'll be doing the same once I get another snorkel for my air cleaner. If you can move the battery to the back of the car in the trunk, you could get some scoops and air ducting and make a homemade w-30 OAI system. I would drill a couple holes in the scoops and mount them to the bottom of the bumpers with the torx screws they have.
Doug213xrj said:
Build your self a dual snorkel air cleaner set up. Get another air cleaner base, remove the snorkel . Cut a hole in your air cleaner base, Screw the second snorkel to your air cleaner. Go to the parts store and buy two air cleaner snorkel hoses kits, get enough so both sides can reach the back of the grill. Run the hose on each side of the radiator to the grill.

Doug
81motor4-1.jpg

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I did not want to move my battery and my engine-bay was a little tight, so I did not want to use a dual snorkel setup. And, I wanted something unique, something different from the Spectre Ram Air setup.

I found these guys RamAirBox.com based out of Hamilton. I ordered a 14x3S which is a single inlet box.
DSC09831.jpg

it ended up being more trouble than planned because the inlet was 6", and tubing for that is very rare. I had to special order tubing which was very expensive. But in the end, I like the look, and it's unique.

for a strict cost analysis, a Specter Ram Air box is your best bet. It comes as a complete kit, and if you're tight for space, they have single inlet models now as well.
865-98618.jpg

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
do you notice a difference at speed?

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
yeah, I noticed a difference in the warmer months. The engine felt smoother at highway speeds on a hot day, and more consistent. In the colder months, it was actually too cool, engine would not run well because carb was having hard time warming up and atomizing the air/fuel mixture.

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
khan0165 said:
yeah, I noticed a difference in the warmer months. The engine felt smoother at highway speeds on a hot day, and more consistent. In the colder months, it was actually too cool, engine would not run well because carb was having hard time warming up and atomizing the air/fuel mixture.
The sweet thing about that is you could remove the hoses and run the car out of the warmer air in the engine compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor