Honda Accord LT1 swap using G-body parts planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronyOfFate

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 29, 2008
Hey,

Thinking about putting an LT1 into a '92 Honda Accord.

I want to be able to daily drive the car and keep it looking like a stock Accord as much as I can.

Thinking about using a G-body frame for this.

Are there big differences between G-bodies? Which can be made to handle well?

Any other thoughts?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
This sounds like a fun project. I'm not a big import guy, but for some reason I have always liked that body style of Accord, well at least the 2 drs. and the wagons.

And with an LT1, talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing! Especially with a T56 behind it.

All of the G-body frames are the same, with the exception of the El Camino, which has a longer wheelbase. El Camino's and all wagons also have a slightly different left rear frame horn to provide clearance for the side fuel filler neck. All coupes and sedans have the filler in back, behind the license plate.

There are a lot of readily available suspension bolt-ons that will greatly improve handling over stock.

I imagine you'll have to do quite a bit of modification to the floor pan to get the car to tuck the frame rails.

Make sure to keep us posted once you start your project!

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
As far as I know there's four different frames. From 78-81or82 the frame has shorter transmission crossmember mounting points as compared to the 82or83-87 which has longer ones because of the longer overdrive transmissions. The real biggest difference is between all gbody's and the longer El camino/station wagons. That's about all I think

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Good call on the trans crossmember mounting pads. There is an adapter available from places like www.crossmembers.com so that overdrives and some other assorted trannys can be put into the earlier frames.

El Camino's are the only ones that have a longer wheelbase.
The wagon's are the same as all the coupes and sedans.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
cool concept, but do you have deep pockets is the question?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You won't need a cigarette lighter. The body will have to be so far forward you'll be able to lite one up off the exhaust manifold that'll be right beside you..

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
There was a guy on e-bay recently with a late 80's fwd sunbird converted to rwd with a g-body frame. It was bad as hell. I personally would use something different than an accord, maybe a first gen Avenger or a 90's Sunbird, but to each their own. If you are creative and willing to do the fab it could be really fun. You could probably do it low buck even if you are willing to do the work and do not expect too much aesthetically. I knew a guy with a 350 Chevette, he made for under $500.00

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I would probably put an AWD Astro frame, with an LS1, T56 and the AWD in it :lol:

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
I've had this itch to build an awd Malibu wagon using an s-10 drive train (cyclone or Bravada full time awd preferably) with either a turbo 6 or sbc. Since the rwd's share so many front suspension parts it should be fairly easy, right?

Sorry for hi-jacking, I just like the crazy dare to be different idea, and if I wanted an Accord there goes the difference part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor