Hone a lifter bore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone try this? We have a block that two new solid lifters are too tight. One got stuck. They work fine switched around to other bores. What is best- a three fingered stone hone or a flex ball hone? I know the clearance is only a few ten thousandths so we don't want to over-do it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have never honed that. I have made sure that all the varnish that may have accumulated is removed but I just use diesel fuel and a rag for that

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Did you check for a lip or defect? Sometimes the right tool for the job is a competent machine shop...especially if that is not a small-block Chevy...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It is a small block. I "think" it was at a shop- S&K on Wrong Island. I read that the heating/cleaning process and shot peening can cause a sharp lip at the top and bottom of the bore. I also read the hard-to-find bore diameter is .8427- .8437" so a .842" Chevy lifter is using only a few ten thousandths clearance.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.

You are correct on the process causing a lip on the top/bottom of the bore. You are also correct on the "few ten thousandths". Check the bore for a "lip" with a 90 degree pic. If no lip, and you just need to remove some varnish, use this ^^^. Use caution, as you don't want to remove too much material, to cause a loss of oil pressure. Be sure to CLEAN, CLEAN after. If there is a pronounced lip ( from the cleaning process or wear ), you may want to consider a trip to the machine shop.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
you may want to consider a trip to the machine shop.
That is the whole rub. He wanted to borrow my hoist so he could take it back to S&K. Then he got mad at that idea and asked about the hone. I felt it was better to measure and see what he had but he is a stubborn old school guy that has no patience for micrometers and the like. Hence the solid lifters. I am assuming it got cleaned so there should be no varnish or crud anywhere but who knows? I am on my way now to talk to him and see what exactly is going on. Stay tuned.

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
I used a ball hone on my 307 lifter bores. Just a few swipes is all it took to clean up anything that wouldn't wipe off with MEK or acetone. Cleaned and cleaned and cleaned again before reassembly. Worked fine.

Malihoochie-

Apprentice
May 14, 2020
Detroit area
Another vote for the ball hone. It is made for that purpose...the 3 stone thing can be used in a pinch - but is really made for a brake cylinder.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor