Hood Hinges update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Easy question.
Are they all different from model to model ? Looking into putting shocks on my wagon instead of springs and I can get a pair of Regal hinges from someone I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Easy question.
Are they all different from model to model ? Looking into putting shocks on my wagon instead of springs and I can get a pair of Regal hinges from someone I know.
They're different from model to model.

If you want later this afternoon i can check the Hollander to see what interchanges might be out there?

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That would be great !!!! Thanks !
So, my wife collected me from my outpatient thing sooner than I thought to help me upstairs and to the book location. Thought I'd be waiting downstairs longer than that....

Here's the thing.

The manual says a cutlass and regal hinge interchange. I've never tried it, but, they're different design. The cutlass has a coiled spring built in, and the regal relied on an air strut with no 'spring' built in the hinge itself.

However, it doesn't show as a monte hinge being included so it doesn't appear to be a gbody free for all.

Here's what it shows:

20211208_134621.jpg

Then the cross reference:

20211208_134811.jpg

So. Aside from cosmetically being incorrect and possibly having a couple different hole placement sides for bolts... maybe they can work? The manual implies they should physically attach the parts together, even if in a different manner than factory (which we don't currently know.)

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
From the looks of it the 317 hinge worked in 10 different cars which would be a good thing. It will save some time figuring out where to mount the shock.
The AMD cowl hood doesnt fit right on my wagon. The edge of the scoop will hit the windshield. Maybe it was designed with coupes in mind. Kind of a pain in the neck. Should have caught it when it was being put on in the bodyshop.
My plan is to try a set of shocks. Another thing to figure out. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to look that up !!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
From the looks of it the 317 hinge worked in 10 different cars which would be a good thing. It will save some time figuring out where to mount the shock.
The AMD cowl hood doesnt fit right on my wagon. The edge of the scoop will hit the windshield. Maybe it was designed with coupes in mind. Kind of a pain in the neck. Should have caught it when it was being put on in the bodyshop.
My plan is to try a set of shocks. Another thing to figure out. LOL

Thanks for taking the time to look that up !!
No problem, quite welcome.

Like I said though, I'd caveat that the hinge assemblies as a whole including what holds things up I to the air themselves between the cutlass and regal.do not look the same... the cutlass doesn't use an air shock at all and has a built in spring where the upper and lower halves meet. The regal is just a floppy hinge of two twisted flat pieces of met, and relies on a separate mini plate and a hole/welded nut on the fender for the air shock to attach to with a special bolt.

Regal:

download (2).jpeg

Vs cutlass:

download (3).jpeg

So what it looks like is the Hollander ignores the "support" portion of the equation whether it's shock, spring, etc, and focuses on the body attachment portion of the hinge. The pictures make them appear very similar.

So you may need to identify and fab up whatever you want to use to hold it supported in the air

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I thought all of the hinges with springs on them were the same. I know the hinges from a 78-80 Cutlass interchange with my ‘84 MC SS.

What kind of hinges do you need? Sprung or Regal with the shock?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
don't confuse hood support with hood hinge. look at your pics. the hood support spring is bolted to the hinge.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Could the hinge 'bases' all be the same w/the 'spring' leg of the brackets different depending on the model?
Yellow = base portion & Red = spring portion of the hinge assembly??

Attachments

• download (2) - Copy.jpeg
    download (2) - Copy.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 109
  • download (3) - Copy.jpeg
    download (3) - Copy.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Could the hinge 'bases' all be the same w/the 'spring' leg of the brackets different depending on the model?
Yellow = base portion & Red = spring portion of the hinge assembly??
I can safely say the Regal hinge that uses gas charged ‘hood support’ (thank you olds joe), are different from the ones that use a sprung support.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor