Horn / steering column part identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm trying to identify where to get one of these. I'm trying to hookup a horn button and aftermarket steering wheel with 2 wires for the horn button, but I found this piece broken. And I believe there is supposed to be another spring loaded piece that goes into this that I need to hook to at least I think :/

As always, all help is appreciated greatly - Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    533.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    597.7 KB · Views: 118

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

WBOWERS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2018
Wayne, Michigan
I'm trying to identify where to get one of these. I'm trying to hookup a horn button and aftermarket steering wheel with 2 wires for the horn button, but I found this piece broken. And I believe there is supposed to be another spring loaded piece that goes into this that I need to hook to at least I think :/

As always, all help is appreciated greatly - Jim

Thank god for the dorman help section. Had to rebuild the tilt
mechanism on mine too. New steering wheel next. still having issues
with the horn spring for power

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So I'm still confused. I have the horn button figured out thanks to you guys, but I can't seem to identify the backup light wires and the neutral safety wires. I have a switch on the column that is closest to the firewall that I would guess is the neutral safety switch, but mine has only two terminals. I've looked them up on Rock Auto and the switches they have listed appear to have 4 and work for both the neutral safety and backup switch.The wires on the switch are green and blue, and I cannot seem to locate either circuit in the manual. ???!!!#$@!#??

The goal is to figure out which wire are for the neutral safety and the backup lights so that I can run them to the floor shifter (aftermarket).

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ok, I figured it out searching old threads. But I had to misspell neutral as nuetral to find it.

There isn't a neutral (nuetral) safety switch - no wonder I couldn't find the damn thing - definitely a wtf :/

pagrunt - if I splice into the purple wire it should work from what I've read - correct?

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So I'm still confused. I have the horn button figured out thanks to you guys, but I can't seem to identify the backup light wires and the neutral safety wires. I have a switch on the column that is closest to the firewall that I would guess is the neutral safety switch, but mine has only two terminals. I've looked them up on Rock Auto and the switches they have listed appear to have 4 and work for both the neutral safety and backup switch.The wires on the switch are green and blue, and I cannot seem to locate either circuit in the manual. ???!!!#$@!#??

The goal is to figure out which wire are for the neutral safety and the backup lights so that I can run them to the floor shifter (aftermarket).

you should not need to change the wiring, with a floor shift all the rods are still there to rotate the column which prevents the key from turning to start the car if the shifter is not in the park or neutral position, it's mechanical and there is no neutral switch. The blue and green wires are for the back up lights.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
you should not need to change the wiring, with a floor shift all the rods are still there to rotate the column which prevents the key from turning to start the car if the shifter is not in the park or neutral position, it's mechanical and there is no neutral switch. The blue and green wires are for the back up lights.

I don't have the rods and I made the piece that the shift cable hooks to at the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor