Horn trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
My name is Dave and it's been awhile since I've posted on this site. I was driving my Grand Prix home from a cruise night and my horn started going off when I turned the wheel. Not every turn of the wheel, but sporadically. Of course when I pulled into my neighborhood it went off at every turn. All I can think of is to replace the horn contact spring. Anyone else ever had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated I want to get this fixed before the next car show on Saturday. Thank you

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
The retainer for the horn wire is probably broken. I had to replace mine about a decade ago, and it broke again about a month ago. I didn't have much cash so this time I just cut a new slot in it and then cut a couple coils off the spring to reduce the amount of constant pressure on the plastic retainer. The next time it fails I'm probably just going to try and re-engineer it so it won't fail in the future due to the plastic failing.
s-l1600.jpg

You'll need some special tools. You'll need a steering wheel puller, and you'll need a steering column spring compressor so that you can remove the snap ring that holds the broken piece captive.
The latter tool should look something like this, and it will thread onto where the steering wheel's nut goes, so make sure the one you buy has both Imperial and Metric adapters.
https://www.grainger.com/product/2Z...0519!&ef_id=WjxZLAAAAQrbXm-q:20180625183927:s

If you can't get around to it this week, you could always just disconnect the horn.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor