Horrible bog/stalling when cold!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
'78 Cutlass, 260 V8 with the 2 bbl. One pump at first start in the morning, cranks a bit but always starts and goes right up to high idle. Let it run for a few minutes and it'll kick down and idle just fine. The minute you go in gear it falls flat and dies. Lather, rinse, repeat. Restart, die. Restart die as you hit the gas to back up. Choke sets when cold, opens at start and as it warms up. Are they set that lean? All vac lines look good, PCV not stuck, new air filter, good shot from the accel pump. It's the part throttle transition when you first go to move. Power brake it out to the street and it runs out well up to the speed limit. Got a kit coming for it, but any ideas what I should be looking for??

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Clogged fuel filter?

Clogged fuel line?

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I am starting wonder like pontiacgp if it is vacuum related?

A good spray of carb cleaner all around might help.

Check your distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Not saying this is the cause, but many driving issues dealing with poor idle I had were solved replacing those parts plus thoroughly cleaning my carb, pcv, etc.

Good luck.

somaphox

Apprentice
Jan 16, 2015
being a 78 im assuming it has a th350 or 325 with a torque converter.could it be stuck in engagement?or check its wiring,should be a vac switch somewhere as well as a vac line

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor